Please sign in to post.

Ireland

Hi:
I will be in Ireland for 6 days-flying in and out of Dublin. We want to go to Cliffs of Mohr; a castle; Guinness Brewery and just poke around. We are a Mom and Adult son and are considering renting a car for two days to go to cliffs. Any suggestions on itinerary?

Posted by
9363 posts

Personally, I would not waste time or money on the Guinness Storehouse. It is not really a brewery tour. It's mostly one long commercial with lots of buying opportunities for the same Guinness souvenirs you can find all over Ireland. Yes, you get a "free" pint at the end, but the price of the tour is steep and depending on the weather, you might not have much of a view from the bar.

Have you already bought your airline tickets? Because you are considering renting a car, and you want to see something of the west, I would suggest flying into Shannon instead. It's a smaller airport out in the country, so it's easier to become accustomed to driving on the other side of the road before you face much traffic. Bunratty Castle is only six miles away, and the Cliffs of Moher are about an hour or so away from the airport. You could stay in the Liscannor/Doolin/Lahinch area that first night, then head south toward Killarney (for scenery), Blarney (castle and shopping), Cahir (great castle), or the Rock of Cashel. Then you could head up to Dublin for your time there, turning in the car when you get there because you won't want to have to park or drive in the city. Then just hop the bus to the airport and leave from Dublin.

Posted by
2347 posts

Totally agree with Nancy's first paragraph. Have been to The brewery and my sister and I both found it exactly as she says. Would rather save money and buy a pint at a pub. If you already have tickets into and out of Dublin you have several options. You could rent a car at airport, stop at Newgrange if it is early enough and then head a little west depending on how tired you are. Keep the car for maybe total of four days as you head west to cliffs, eventually make way back to Dublin for last three days, dropping car off before Dublin. If you don't have tickets yet would really recommend starting in Shannon and spend four days in the west before heading back to Dublin,, dropping car off before the city and then fly home from Dublin, called open jaw tickets.

Posted by
8572 posts

In Dublin see the Book of Kells at Trinity College, visit the Brewery if you must, wander around Temple Bar and then set out to see Eire by car. Up early and out the door, start the day at Powerscourt. Then a drive through the gorgeous Wicklow Mountains to Glendalough. Lunch and then a 2 and a half hour drive to the Rock of Cashel.
Overnight there. If too tired stop instead in Kilkenny, overnight there and make the hour and a half drive to the Rock of Cashel in the morning. All about pacing yourself. From here it's your choice which way to go. I am bias to the beauty and personality of the Dingle Peninsula and suggest at least a two night stay in Dingle. From there you could travel up to Ennis, spend the evening, visit the the Cliffs of Mohr the next morning, then drive North to Galway, have lunch and start the drive back to Dublin. Lastly, grab a copy of the RS book on Ireland. Review it, and see what else peaks you interest, use Google maps satellite view and plot a route. Lovely country. Enjoy your six days.

Posted by
740 posts

Agree with other respondents regarding Guinness Brewery. There are better things to do in Dublin. I would add Kilmainham Gaol (Jail) to my Dublin itinerary. Went there a few years ago on the RS Ireland Tour and am looking to go back and spend more time. I also enjoyed the Food, Folklore and Faeries show at the Brazen Head Pub near Christchurch.

If going to the Cliffs of Moher, I would add a stop or two near in the Burren.

Posted by
1010 posts

Our tour visited the Ashford Castle for two nights. It is the former summer home of the Guinness Family. We all wished we could have stayed longer. The food was delicious. The grounds were spectacular. Our room faced the water. A bagpiper met our group, as we departed from a river boat. He played his bagpipes, while we followed across a footbridge, to the grounds, and into the hotel. It was a lovely experience visiting the Ashford Castle.