Please sign in to post.

Four full days in Ireland's west coast. What to do?

My husband and I are flying into Shannon Airport in mid-June and will stay 5 nights and 4 full days in the western part of the country. Currently I have us staying two nights in Doolin, after hitting the Bunratty Castle straight from the airport, and then 2 nights in Dingle, with a last night in Shannon before flying out the next morning. Can anyone tell me if they think two nights is too much in Doolin, or Dingle for that matter. If so, what suggestions of other towns do you have. I would love to do Ring of Kerry but feel like that is too much driving for this breif stay. Perhaps I should skip the west coast and do the southern part instead. I am open to suggestions. I will be doing the driving. Look out Ireland!

Posted by
2367 posts

Just my opinion as I keep going back to Dingle,,going on fifth trip in two weeks so take this with a grain of salt. Doolin is not worth more than one night. Every time we have been there it has gotten so much more commercial, last time we had to wait twenty minutes to get out of car park for the tour buses. Night time is much better. Also, sometimes the ferries may not be running if you want to go to the islands. Like the idea of Bunratty folk park, we liked it much more than the castle. From Doolin be sure to take the Talbert ferry to dingle to save almost an hour. If you drive Dingle I would not drive Ring of Kerry. You can have a lovely day from Dingle over the Killarney Park to see Ladies view, stop in Sneem a lovely little town and back to Dingle. If want restaurant and B&b info, send me a pm. Enjoy.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi,
I agree with Gail, skip the Ring of Kerry. I believe that it was made popular by its road bed. Probably the first to be paved and now it is just wide enough for big tour busses. And that is what you need to see over the Ring's hedges. Better to do Dingle or Beare Peninsulas.

The west coast is big. The Burren, a large limestone out cropping with Ennis, a market town, near and is a good place to visit. The Burren has a fair number of good megalithic tombs and defensive "castles".

North of Galway is Clifden. The drives around Clifden are quite wild and beautiful. Clifden itself is a market town and nice.

Further north is Sligo and Queen Maeve's Grave. And even further takes you into Donegal town with the Magee clothing factory.

Galway and Limerick in my mind are not worth your time. They are too grey.

All of these are great places, but travel is slow. The roads that are the prettiest could have sheep sleeping on them.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
286 posts

From Doolin, you can go to the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, and the Aran Islands - weather permitting. I do not think 2 nights is too many in Doolin. If you can get on the earlier boat to the islands you can still return in time to see the Cliffs of Moher or drive through the Burren. One disappointment we had with the boats to the island - there are 3 companies at the dock - is our boat scheduled for 11 did not leave until 11:45 and I think it took almost an hour to get to the 1st island. Return boat left at 2:30 promptly, but this included going along the cliffs for truly outstanding views. We were not able to leave earlier than 11 due to the rough seas. We would have liked another hour on the island of Inisheer. We did not do Ring of Kerry or Dingle this trip.