Please sign in to post.

12 night itinerary, half with adult children May 2017

It's early I know, but half my pleasure comes from planning our trips!
We are a couple in early 60's. Have traveled to Italy many times, Paris, Copenhagen. First trip to Ireland. I thought we would fly just the 2 of us to Dublin and then when we get to Killarney, our 2 adult kids would fly into shannon and join us in Killarney. This will be a surprise trip for them.
We are not looking for a whirlwind trip. We prefer multiple night stays. We do not want to move every night. Our interests include walking, scenery, sightseeing,( culture and art and museums for me) food, talking with locals or travelers, castles. My husband loves sports so would like to tour Croke Park and maybe catch a hurling or gaelic football match or rugby. Not interested in nightlife.
Kids would also like kayaking, some hiking, beer.
So I also posted similar question on different forum but would also like to hear from RS travelers.
I always plan in nights.
Dublin- 3 nights
Tour of Croke Park, Kilhamain Goal, Chester Beatty Library, Guinness Storehouse, wandering

Kilkenny- 2 nights
Kilkenny Castle, Thomastown, wandering

Killarney- 3 nights
Killarney National Park, jaunting cart tour, Gap of Dunloe, Killarney town wandering,
Dingle Peninsula

Galway- 3 nights
See COM, and Doolin and the Burren on the way to Galway
wander Galway, maybe a kayaking trip

Bunratty- 1 night
Folk park and banquet, leave from Shannon

Should I substitute Dingle for Killarney?
Is there any advantage to doing this itinerary in the reverse?

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Posted by
346 posts

I vote yes on substituting Dingle for Killarney. I would spend several nights in Dingle. If you want to see Killarney National Park, you might spend 1 night there, but I wouldn't stay more than that. Do you have a plan for Kilkenny besides the castle? Thomaston is home to a lovely B&B (Lawcus) and is very close to Jerpoint Abbey which has a nice free guided tour, and Kells Priory. There's also a glassblowing studio and a pottery nearby. In Dublin you might consider a pub crawl instead of visiting the Guiness storehouse. It is not an actual manufacturing facility anymore and was fairly dull to me, even though I really like Guiness.

Posted by
8572 posts

Agree, sub Dingle for Killarney. Excellent you've chosen Gap of Dunloe and Killarney National Park,
( fall colors should be starting in September). Drive Slea Head. I'd also not miss Newgrange, Glendalough or Rock of Cashel. I'd fly into Dublin and out of Shannon.

Posted by
95 posts

Everytime I think I am pretty set, I start second guessing myself. I guess the problem is too much to see and do and limited time.
I will have to do a little more exploring on the Dingle vs Killarney issue.
I also have been looking at the Lawcus B andB. We would like a mix of staying in towns and out in the country and Lawcus looks lovely.
Any and all thoughts still appreciated and considered.
Thank you.