Please sign in to post.

12 day trip focusing on Neolithic sites

Here's what we've planned:
2 nights in Dublin
Drive to Bushmills, spent the night and wake up at Giants Causway
Drive to Donegal that night
Spend 2 nights in Donegal
Drive to Galway spend 3 nights using Galway as a center for Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher
Next 2 nights in Dingle
Drive back to Dublin via Cashel and spend last 2 nights in Dublin

What input does anyone have on the driving?
Staying in Galway 3 nights?
Appreciate your help with this!

Posted by
1819 posts

We also enjoy neolithic sites. If that is your focus, you are missing many of the best areas. Sligo, Ceide Fields, the Burren, and the Beara Peninsula. are filled with them. You could visit New Grange enroute to Donegal. The Giants Causeway and the Cliffs of Moher are geological sites, not especially anything to do with neolithic sites. Cashel is a medieval religious site. When we visit Ireland we focus on the scenery and the neolithic sites, but have little interest in the cities.

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
This past summer, I visited many of the places you are wishing to go too.
I will add one place that became my #1 spot in Ireland - Skellig Michael Island.
I am not sure if it will fit into your plans, but I thought I would suggest it.
Have a terrific adventure!

Posted by
2261 posts

When you're in the Dingle area you may like to check out the West Kerry Museum in Ballyferriter, call ahead or write to be sure they are open when you go:

http://www.westkerrymuseum.com/bearla/home.htm

There's quite an interesting book on Dingle Peninsula sites, out of print now but still out there-not cheap-it's the second one shown on this page:

http://www.westkerrymuseum.com/bearla/books.htm

And of course the Archaeology Museum in Dublin is spectacular.

Do you have specific questions about driving?

Posted by
97 posts

A question - are there tour companies that visit these places?

We are thinking to go in early December. Figure the rain and dark won't be too much different from here we are. (pnw).

Hoping the infrastructure is there for tourism at that time.

Thanks,

Linda

Posted by
9363 posts

December is the off-season. Many B&Bs close for the winter after Nov 1 and don't reopen until near Easter, but you should still be able to find places to stay. Likewise, many attractions reduce their hours or days of operation during the winter (I assume that's what you mean by "infrastructure for tourism").

Posted by
317 posts

Hi Christine

I have a ton of info I could give you but there is one neolithic site in particular that I recently visited that blew me away.
Its a passage tomb on a private farm, about 1 hour from Dublin. You pay a small fee and the owner gives you the key, once inside there is space for 30 people in the central chamber and the neolithic art and carvings are unreal. Bring a flashlight!

If you private message me I'll pass on the details, its best this site doesnt also become overrun with tourists.

Ive been selected to go to Newgrange on the winter solstice this year, along with our President and 50 other lucky guests.

Oh and when in Dingle, try and meet up with my friend Juli Malone, the Dingle Druid.

le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland tour-guide
Dingle and Derry