Please sign in to post.

10 day itinerary

Before finalizing any plans I was looking for some feedback on our 10 day trip to Ireland in July. Two active couples in early 50's.

Flying in and out of Dublin. Renting car upon arrival and driving to Doolin 3 nights. (Plan to see Aran islands, Cliffs of Moher. The Burren) Then driving to Dingle Penninsula. Planning to stay 1 night but unsure if want to stay in Dingle or another nearby town. Then heading to Killarney for National Forest hike but thought we'd continue on and stay next two nights in Kilkenny. Then thought we'd head to Wicklow area for 2 nights with last 2 nights in Dublin before flying home.

Question is do we need that much time in Kilkenny and Wicklow areas? Feedback would be appreciated greatly!

Posted by
1172 posts

I would stay 2 nights in Dingle and add a night in Killarney instead of 2 in Kilkenny. We stayed in Ventry just outside Dingle and loved it. We stayed at Garvey's Farmhouse and the Garvey's were fabulous hosts and the breakfast was amazing!
We only stayed 1 night in Kilkenny and that was enough. Unless you are planning on using it as a base for Rock of Cashel???? There really wasn't much in Kilkenny. We did the castle and walked the medieval mile.

Killarney National Park was amazing. We rented bikes and biked into he Park to Muckross house and farms. It is just gorgeous area. We stayed at the Lake Hotel which is right next to the park.

Posted by
346 posts

First, I am not sure how long your flight to Dublin will be as you don't say where your point of origin is, but if it's a transatlantic flight, please give very careful consideration to NOT driving across Ireland on the day you arrive. It's a long drive at the best of times, but miserable and maybe even dangerous with jetlag/lack of sleep. Beyond that, I think 3 nights in Doolin is too much. It is tiny, and even as a base, 1 night is probably sufficient there. I'd spend 2 or 3 nights in Dingle, then 1 in Killarney, 2 in Kinsale, 2 in/near Kilkenny, then back to Dublin.