Please sign in to post.

1 day in Dublin

Hello,

My wife and I have business in County Cork for 1 week and we will stay in Dublin before flying back to the US. What suggestions do you have for a 1 day blitz of seeing as much as possible.

thanks,

JT

Posted by
1078 posts

Hi,
1) If you only visit one pub I recommend O'Neils, great food & drink
2) Get tickets to the literary Pub Crawl, it was a highlight for us.
3) Visit Trinity College and see the book of Kells

I love Ireland!!

Posted by
1878 posts

Definitely walk around town and visit Trinity College / Book of Kells. Other than that, the National Archeological Museum is a great visit. I think they are in a new building since we were there in 2002, so it's probably even better than it was then. The website is not that special but we were wowed by the collection.

Posted by
2816 posts

Have you considered doing a circuit on the hop on, hop off bus? Could get a pretty good overview of the city and then revisit those sites that particularly appeal to you later.

Posted by
317 posts

In my humble opinion one of the best pubs in Dublin, therefore the world, is 'The Celt' on Talbot Street. Authentic Northside flavour, great music and good food. Say hi to Bar Manager Coxy for me.
Be sure to check out the interesting picture of President Bush out back and enjoy the wealth of photographic history on the walls1
Le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Ireland Tour-Guide
Derry & Dingle

Posted by
398 posts

If I only had time to do one thing in Dublin, I would recommend visiting Kilmainham Gaol (Jail). It was very educational, walks you through the history of the Easter Rising in 1916, etc. If you have a full day, I'd walk to Trinity College as early as it opens, see that area, then hop a bus (I think it was maybe a 10 minute ride) to the Kilmainham stop), see the Gaol, then either walk back and stop at the Guinness Storehouse (super touristy, but we enjoyed it quite a bit - if you go, buy tickets in advance, will save lots of time), or take the bus back to the Temple Bar area, walk around the Liffey, and then down Grafton Street - definitely pop into a pub or two.

Posted by
977 posts

Assuming you trying to fit everything in....
- Get yourself a hop-on hop-off bus ticket and do one entire loop of the city before deciding where you want to do your hopping!
- If it is fine day hop off at the Guinness Storehouse, skip the tour and go straight for the Gravity bar for a pint and a view of the city
- Have a stroll around Trinity College (my old alma mater), but unless it is winter time avoid the book of kells as the queue will eat into your time.
- Again if it a nice day, hop off at St. Stephen's and relax for half an hour watching the Dubs enjoy the nice day. Bring a snack and enjoy lunch there as many Dubs do...
- Visit Kilmainham Goal, but don't leave it till later afternoon as it often fills up.
- If you still have time you could fit in Dublin Castle or Christ Church Cathedral

For the evening I favour The Irish House Party over a pub, but that is me.