Please sign in to post.

Where should I go?

I'm going to Iceland arriving on June 13. Already have the hotel booked while I await results of my Covid test.
I'll be going to stay in Grindavik at the end of my trip to experience the volcano.
I have 3 full days in between to go exploring.
I've already seen everything on the Golden Circle, and everything along the south coast all the way to Jokulskarlon and Diamond Beach.
I'm thinking of heading north this time. What's within a 5 hour drive of Reykjavik that you have seen and think is worth it? I love remote, windswept places and the Westfjords seem great for that - not sure if 3 days is enough though since it seems that a lot of this is only accessible by boat. I would love to find some thermal pools up north to experience (already did the Blue Lagoon scene last time - don't need to do that again). Anything with hiking or getting into the wild is right up my alley.
Would love any suggestions to narrow it down for me...so many options.
Thank you in advance!!

Posted by
2004 posts

Do you have a place in Grindavik booked? If not, take a look at the Northern Light Inn. Our daughter stayed there two years ago and absolutely loved it, so we are booked there for this August. They have been wonderful to work with (cancelled last year).

Posted by
241 posts

There are many sites on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula worth checking out including valafoss, Gerðuberg, and the iconic Kirkjufellsfoss. The coastal towns of Hellnar and Arnarstapi are also great stops.

Just 45 minutes outside of Reykjavik, there is the Reykjadalur Valley where you can take a short hike to a spot in the river is a hot springs you can swim in. The Raufarhólshellir lava caves are also close to Reykjavik, but you have to visit on a guided tour.

I should mention I’ve never been to any of these places but these are some things I’ve turned up from my extensive research for my upcoming trip in June. I hope it’s useful.

Posted by
3391 posts

Thank you mikliz 97 - yes, I've already reserved a place in Grindavik. I have booked into the Harbor View Cottages via Booking.com. I love the modernist aesthetic in this part of the world so saw these and booked immediately! If, for some reason, the volcano stops doing it's thing I'll cancel my booking and go somewhere else but this place foots the bill for now.
Thank you for the suggestions Christina! I have come across this hot spring as well and may take a walk up there to relax for a while. Looks so amazing!

Posted by
3391 posts

mikliz thank you! I agree! I just hope they are still there by the time I go in a few weeks. They are quite close to the volcano so hopefully it stays small!

Posted by
268 posts

Hi, Anita,
I was in Iceland taking a loop around the ring road a couple of years back and found this great kayaking tour in the fjord just at the base of Kirkjufell. If you're heading out that way, I highly recommend it. I was the only person who had booked that morning, but the owner took me out on a private tour around the fjord. There are harbor seals that like to shadow the kayaks, at times following at your side. It was the most unforgettable part of the trip for me, and it was an amazing trip.

https://vesturadventures.is/

Posted by
2004 posts

justsweetjc--Thank you so much for that suggestion. I looked into for our trip in August and it looked great so we booked it!

Posted by
268 posts

mikliz97, I'm happy to have suggested something that interested you, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. The equipment they provide will keep you warm and dry, even when you are in the water if you choose!! The guides are local residents, and are totally familiar with the waters.

Posted by
2004 posts

justsweetjs--We booked the kayak fishing excursion for 5 of us. It takes a lot for my husband to get really excited over something, but when I sent him the link he responded immediately with a "book it!", haha!