Please sign in to post.

Westman Islands

My husband and I are interested in going to Westman Islands Sept 12-14. I am wondering about transportation from Reykjavik and tours. I see a bus that goes to the ferry from Reykjavik but does it stop service after August? I am wondering if we need to rent a car. Where is the best place to stay on the island? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Posted by
743 posts

There are a few of us on this forum who have been to Iceland. I've gone, but didn't make it to the Westman Islands yet. However, I suggest that you also post on the TripAdvisor Iceland forum; it's very active and there are a lot of people there who can answer your questions.

Posted by
364 posts

We visited the Westman Islands as a day trip from our home base on the south coast.

We took our rental car. I'm sure there are other good options, but I think it is ideal to have your own car on Heimaey. The town of Vestmannaeyjabær is compact and the ends of the island are literally walkable from town, but to see everything you want - puffins, Eldfell, etc., you will want access to your own wheels or a dedicated tour guide that will take you where you want to go.

Renting a car from Reykjavík can be done easily downtown or at the airport (Blue Car Rental is the service we used and it was excellent). It's about a very scenic 2 hour drive from Reykjavík to the ferry terminal on the south coast, and a short ferry ride from there (40 minutes). I think having your own wheels would help you make the most of your time on the island.

Our day trip to Heimaey was the highlight of our trip to Iceland, which is saying something. You'll love it however you determine best to approach it.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Steve, How much time would you dedicate to the area? I have read that a day is not enough?

Posted by
2468 posts

We finally got to the Westmann Islands last summer after many trips. We had a few nights there and were very happy. We took our vehicle there, so cannot help with tours. I do recommend hiring a car and doing it yourself. It is very easy and that gives you much more flexibility. Take the vehicle on the ferry so you have it to save time while on the island. The Southern part of the island is a bit to far to walk if you are just there for the day and if you want to do more things, so a car makes a big difference here. We stayed at a guesthouse. Be sure to hike the crater if you are able, but the Eldheimar Museum is a must and that is at the base of the crater. We also did the 2 hour rib boat safari tour which was so much fun! We lucked out and a pod of orcas popped up right in front of us, so our captain turned the motor off and we just sat there for the longest time watching them. They were SO close to us! There is more to do on the island, but take your time to really take it all in.

Posted by
364 posts

OP: Thanks Steve, How much time would you dedicate to the area? I have read that a day is not enough?

We were on the island for only 1 day and that was not enough in my mind. In hindsight, I would have loved to have spent a night or two. The island is very small, but wandering along the coast on the far end of the island, visiting the museum, hiking to the top of Eldfell, etc. all felt a bit rushed for us in a single day. The town itself is charming enough - we found a lovely spot for lunch (restaurant called Gott) and there were other places that looked to be worth checking out.

Posted by
388 posts

Westman Islands was my absolute favorite place that we saw earlier this summer (finally starting to work on my trip report).

I made several concessions to make it there and it was worth it. But one night was not enough. I would have liked for 2 nights, 3 days especially if you are hiking. We had a rental car, I agree with another poster that it would certainly be easier with the car (puffins, Eldheimar). Either way, have backup plans in case the ferry does not run (bad weather).

We stayed at The New Post Office. Wonderful location, nice place.