Please sign in to post.

Thorsmork or Landmannalaugar??

We have time for one day trip to the highlands in Iceland to include hiking. Can folks weigh in on:
1) which location you recommend; and 2) preferred tour company? We do not want to drive there ourselves. Thank you!

Posted by
2027 posts

We went to Thorsmark this summer. We used South Coast Adventures for the bus in and out. The last stop is just past Seljalandsfoss, at Bru Base. From there it takes you over several large water crossings and takes you directly to the Volcano Huts. You do not need a guide for hiking. Go inside to the desk and take a photo of the trails map as they do not have copies to give out. They will help you decide which trail(s) you might want to do. We stayed there for 2 nights so that we could have ample time to hike both days. If you can, definitely try to give it at least a night as it is beautiful there and the hiking is fabulous!

Posted by
37 posts

Hi, I believe I used Midgard based in Hvolsvollur. It was a fabulous tour. We did 3 separate hikes during the full day tour so it was worthwhile for the price. We stopped at a glacier first (can't remember name of it) and hiked up to the tongue then drove into Thorsmork and did a hike up a small hill which had fabulous views then did a hike to a waterfall hidden in a canyon. There were 6 of us of varying ages. I was probably on the older side of the group but had no major issues with the hikes which I had worried about. Some of the water crossings were quite alarming. The tour guide stressed that tourists shouldn't drive into Thorsmork as the water crossings are constantly shifting and there are areas with quicksand. The guides constantly keep in contact with each other about the conditions.