We are fully vaccinated and are planning on traveling to Iceland for 9 days in August. I have read Rick's book partially to get an idea of what we want to do, but we aren't following his advice closely for this trip because we don't want to always be on the move and relocating to a different place to stay every night. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to follow his advice exactly, but for this trip we want to take things at a much slower pace.
Would you please advise on whether my options below work? I don't generally love the idea of driving in a foreign country. In the past I have always relied on public transportation, and had driven once in the countryside of France. But recently with covid, we are considering renting a car for a few days in Iceland. Would my initial itinerary work? Please note that I haven't worked out all the details yet, this is just an initial thought to see if we need modification before starting to book things.
1) Arrive in Iceland on Friday early morning, take public transportation/cab to the hotel to wait for covid result, explore Reykjavik on the same day if/when covid result returned negative.
2) Saturday: Golden circle tour (not self-driving). Stay in Reykjavik.
3) Sunday: Snorkeling tour in Silfra, thermal bath after? (We need to look for a convenient thermal bath from Reykjavik or from Silfra, probably Krauma?)
4) Monday: rent a car and drive to Southcoast, and stay there as base for a few days. Self Explore in Southcoast or book an ice cave tour.
5) Tuesday: Southcoast tour to explore the main attractions.
6) Wednesday: Jokulsarlon for Zodiac boat tour and probably self explore the area
7) Thursday: Westman Islands
8) Friday: drive back to Reykjavik, stop at Blue Lagoon.
9) Saturday: day trip from Reykjavik
10) Sunday: depart to go home
I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations for anything! Iceland has been on my list for a long time, and I'm bummed my injury doesn't allow me to move at a faster pace and seek out more hard-core adventures, but I will be back another time for the things I won't be doing this coming trip.
Thank you so very much!