Please sign in to post.

Northern Lights in Iceland

I am thinking of trying to go to Iceland next week to see the Northern Lights. Has anyone been successful seeing them and could you recommend a tour from Reykjavik?

Posted by
2028 posts

The lights have apparently been really good lately. Of course it all depends so no guarantee. We used Aurora Experts last October and he was so good!

Posted by
2028 posts

Yes we did! We have seen them on our own just getting lucky. The night we did the tour it was so nice to be away from all other people, just our mini bus, and a huge open area with the lights above. He is really flexible too so if the lights are likely to show after the tour ends, if the entire group agrees he full stay out later. The night we went we could not go that as we had an early tour in the morning so we said an extra hour was ok. I liked that he was so considerate of everyone but so flexible. He does not follow the masses do you are not in a field with dozens of buses and hundreds of people. Just your little bus.

Posted by
15018 posts

My first three trips I got rained out. No lights.

Last september, I got an alert on my phone the lights were out. So I stepped out on my balcony and there they were. Not vivid green but they were dancing. When I looked through my phone--to take photos--the colors came out.

One of the problems with Iceland is that being an island, clouds can build up easily and block your view.

Most of the Northern Light tours will not operate unless there is a good chance they will be visible. They also usually say that if you don't see them, you can go another night for free.

I've done the bus tours but if I go back I might try the boats.

Actually, I'm thinking of either northern Norway or Sweden next time as the weather should be less bothersome.

Posted by
8944 posts

This year and next year are supposed to be really good years due to some sort of sun activity. I have the Aurora app downloaded on my phone and it is showing all kinds of activity for Iceland right now, and every night.

Posted by
2028 posts

Frank--We are headed to Norway the end of August and I am keeping fingers crossed that we might see the lights there.

Jo--Yes! One time we saw the lights just before landing at KEF and then again on the ground at the airport there. Last October the lights were just stunning, and one night we had the full on vivid green light up at the church. It was crazy to see them so bright there, even to the naked eye, in the heart of the city and with the church lit up in neon pink. We are stopping over in Iceland before heading to Amsterdam on our upcoming trip, so I hope the lights make an appearance for us.

Posted by
6401 posts

I've seen the lights many times, but never in Iceland. And to be honest, if your goal is to see the lights, it's probably a better idea to go to Canada.

There are many reasons to visit Iceland, but the Northern lights is not one of them in my opinion, there are far better places to see the lights. As mentioned, being an island in a relatively warm ocean there is a high risk of cloudy weather blocking the views. Northern Norway is a better option. And northern Sweden an even better one.

Posted by
2346 posts

Here's the official aurora forecast website: https://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/ There are two big factors - sun activity and cloud cover. You can check forecasts for both, but they only go out a couple days, so you really can't long term plan.

That said, I went to Iceland at exactly this time in 2019 and saw the lights three times - on the flight to Iceland (just over Greenland), waiting for the bus in Reykjavik to go on the excursion to see the lights, and again on the excursion. The "tour" was a big bus version. They basically drive you out away from city lights, parked in a big lot with a bunch of other buses, and you stood out in the late evening hours (10 p.m. - midnight) waiting for the lights to show. The activity when I visited was very low but you could see wispy dancing clouds, the photos I took with the night setting on my phone captured more vivid colors. Had we not seen any, or the conditions weren't right, the tour would have granted another excursion for free.

Seeing the lights was on my bucket list. I'd say it was pretty underwhelming due to the low solar activity, so I consider that list item half checked off (maybe I'll see them elsewhere some day). But I loved my trip to Iceland and enjoyed the other things I did while visiting there (Golden Circle, South Coast, food tour) so it was a great trip overall.

Posted by
3227 posts

Well, I have seen them many times, but we have friends in Seattle and its on their bucket list. So on March 1st we are taking them to Fairbanks, Alaska and staying at Chena Hot Springs. 🤞🏻 fingers crossed!