Please sign in to post.

Iceland in Winter (February 2020)

Hello, fellow travelers! My wife and I are headed to Iceland in February for 6 days. We have a potential itinerary started and wanted to know if we are missing a 'must-see"! Keep in mind, we can't make it around the full Ring Road during winter! Thanks!

Day 1 - Golden Circle
Arrive early AM
Thingvellir (Þingvellir) National Park 
Strokkur Geysir
Gulfoss Waterfall
Kerid Crater Lake 
End in Hella

Day 2
Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
Skogafoss Waterfall
Gljúfrabúi
Solheimajokull Glacier
Dyrhólaey (craggy rocks)
Reynisfjara (Black Sands) Beach
End in Vik

Day 3
Fjadrargljufur Canyon 
Vatnajökull Glacier and Skaftafell Blue Ice Cave
End in Hof

Day 4
Diamond Beach
Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
Drive back to Reykjavik
Northern Lights Tour

Day 5 - Reykjavik
Free Walking Tour - ?
Saga Museum (Viking)
Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur hot dog stand
Harpa Concert Hall/Old Harbour Building
The Sun Voyager sculpture
Hallgrimskirkja Church
National Museum of Iceland
Tjörnin Pond

Day 6 - Departure Day
Blue Lagoon 
Airport

Posted by
114 posts

Assuming you thoroughly researched these locations for winter travel? Are you a good driver on ice or snow, heavy wind or fog? Isn’t there limited daylight at that time of year?

Not trying to discourage.. but it can be a challenging visit at that time of year.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the concern, but yes, we have thought of all of those concerns.

1. Being from Colorado and living in Michigan for numerous years, I am not at all concerned about driving in the snow, ice, wind or fog. We'll take it slow and adjust our itinerary as needed.

2. And yes, we know the sun doesn't come up until around 9:30am and sets around 5pm.

We WANT to see Iceland in winter, not summer. It is more in keeping with the experience we are after.

We'll give that podcast a listen though, so thanks.

Posted by
5 posts

Looking at what you have listed. My winter trip was in December, landed the 26th.

I did your day 1, day 4 and day 5
Luckily we did have good weather for most of the time.
If you're passing Selfoss around a meal time, I would recommend a stop. some good places to eat and some decent supermarkets as well.

Some more about winter driving in Iceland: https://mytraveltips.co.uk/travel-tips/winter-driving-in-iceland/

Posted by
7 posts

Just watch out for the wind which is nothing I have experienced before. Also, for your first day, beware of jetlag. You might be better off staying close to Reykjavik and do your Day 5 activities. If you are tired, at least you won't be behind the wheels.

Posted by
7 posts

Good advice, thank you. Our plans won't be written in stone, so if we can't get a good night's rest on the plane (we land around 7am Reykjavik time) then we will readjust our itinerary. And yes, I plan on heeding the wind alerts and playing it safe. No one wants to die or get in an accident whilst on vacation! :D