Please sign in to post.

UPDATED Food Allergy accommodations at restaurants?

Hi, I have a dairy allergy. Does anyone have any experience with food allergies in Iceland? We will be there for a week and are staying within the touristy areas. Thanks!

Update!
For anyone who is interested, we returned from our amazing trip and I am happy to report that having dairy, gluten, or vegan restrictions is not a problem at all. EVERY restaurant we went to was clearly labeled, had options, and the staff was knowledgeable. It was way easier to eat in Iceland than where I live in the US. I never once had a contamination issue either. It was the icing on truly fantastic vacation.

Posted by
2032 posts

Glad it worked out well for you. Our adult daughter is dairy and gluten free and has eaten very well there!

Posted by
1 posts

Also very pleased to hear this as I am gf and df. Often it is easier to avoid gluten than lactose. Do you know if coconut yogurt is available in Iceland?

Posted by
508 posts

I just got back from Iceland a couple of weeks ago and also didn't have any issues with my food allergy. I didn't even have a minor reaction as I sometimes have eating out at home. I agree, it was easier to eat out with a food allergy in Iceland than in the US... I do have to say the food was amazing, especially in Reykjavik.

Also, to answer the last question, we saw plant based yogurt quite often.