going to Iceland last week of August till early September. So far this is what our itinerary looks like for 12 days attempting the Ring Road. Our itinerary is not set yet but we did already book cancelable hotels for all the days near where we plan to head. We are going as a family of 5 with 3 kids (ages 13, 11, 9)
Would like to fine tune our itinerary, and add some activities and book some tours for our below preliminary itinerary. Need advice on how we can add in and what days/regions are best to do these activities that are priority on our list to do:
1. Tour the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano in Iceland, which would be the best day to do that and along which region/day? Any recommended tour that does this that is cheapest but good.
2. Snorkel the Silfra Fissure – I read best to do that while in the Golden Circle area by the National Park? So would day 2 be the best option for this?
3. Would like to see the Ice Cave at Langjokull Glacier – can that be done on day 11?
4. Icelandic Horse back riding – can we get that out of the way on our first day in Rejkajavik after the Blue Lagoon? Or is it more recommended to that somewhere along our Ring Road drive?
5. Doing the Gold Circle drive – would you recommend a tour for any of the recommended sights along the way so we can learn more or is that not necessary?
Day 1. we will be staying in Rejkajavik in the center of the city (Will do Blue Lagoon)
Any other recommendations *must see or to do in the City before we head off to the Gold Circle drive on day 2?
Day 2. will be heading to the Golden Circle. (snorkeling in Silfra Fissure?)
Day 3. Reykjavik to Vik
Day 4. Vik to Hofn
Day 5. hofn to the East Fjords (would like to see Seyoisfjordur and Dettifoss) Staying in Seyoisfiorjur (is that doable or should we stay somewhere near Dettifloss? We don’t want to back track and keep moving forward towards our next destination)
Day 6 and 7 : East Fjords to Lake Myvatan
Day 7 is all day at Lake Myvatn - staying in Lake Myvatn area.
Day 8 Akureyri and Siglufjoour. Where on day 8 should we stay? I booked a place in Akureyri but not sure if we should stay in Siglufjoour instead.
Day 9 and 10 we head to Siglufjorour to Stykissholmur and staying in Hvammstangi.
Day 11 heading to the Snaefellsness Peninsula.
Day 12 staying in Vatnsstigur, Rejkajavik – fly out
Any other suggestons and things to do and see that we MUST DO? Especially for my kids! Any advice is very much appreciated!!