Please sign in to post.

Car rental pick up

Are there certain car rental companies that are at the airport and some where you need to shuttle elsewhere? Or do you need to shuttle for all of them? Just wanting to know how much time I should budget for the process of getting our rental car. I booked with Sixt.

Posted by
1968 posts

I am unsure of where Sixt is. We always use Blue and they are right across the parking lot, maybe a 2 minute walk.

Posted by
6 posts

Google map Sixt at KEF airport to see how close it is to the terminal. Looks like a easy walk or you can do a shuttle if weather is bad.

Posted by
113 posts

FWIW, I had a horrible experience with Sixt recently regarding a claim. I'd never rent from them again and will tell others to avoid them like the plague. You don't have many options at KEF; we used Economy Rent a Car there in 2021. The wait to pick up the car was very long, but other than that, we had no issues.

Posted by
118 posts

Thanks for all the input - I may look at Hertz to see if they have a good option.

Posted by
1814 posts

June 4-9 this year, w used Blue since everyone on Tripadvisor and this site recommended it. Some of the Iceland rental car companies have VERY bad reviews so do choose carefully. Rental was problem free but we waited 30 minutes for the shuttle and then barely managed to squeeze on. Blue's site is directly behind the Hotel Aurora but we didn't find that out until later. They don't take your credit card info when you book but send you the pre-check in 5 days before when they do take the credit card.

Interesting tidbit about prices. Five days rental in Iceland (with all insurance included) cost more than ten days in Norway (again with all insurance included) . Fortunately, the conversion rate for Icelandic to US $ is currently quite favorable.

Posted by
1968 posts

We did not need a pin at all gas stations. Mostly we just used Apple Pay.

Posted by
1968 posts

Cynthia--I hope you do a trip report as I would love to read all about it:)

Posted by
1 posts

Avis, Budget, Hertz & Europcar have an in terminal desk, however, they often have very long rows, up to 2 hours on peak days, depending on when you are arriving.
Sixt, enterprise, átak, Blue & Geysir have a shared shuttle bus, since they are next to each other but outside the terminal.

Then the others usually have a private shuttle from the off site airport location, like Go Car Rental, which I went with now in september, I arrived around midnigt and the shuttle bus picked me up at the meeting point in the airport, the ride took 5 minutes to their office and everything went super smooth, highly recommend.

My plane landed at 10 pm, took me about 40 minutes to through the airport, 5 minutes ride and no line at their office, so I was driving away at 11 pm, so 1 hour.
Perhaps plan for an hour and a half, since I wasn't arriving during busy hours.