Please sign in to post.

April 2024 itinerary recommendations

Traveling with my two kids 26 and 24 yo. I am early 60's female going during the first week of April. We are all fit and in good health, enjoy hiking, biking, skiing, nordic and alpine and other outdoor activities as well as exploring museums, restaurants etc. I'm looking for a recommendation for tour/activity on Day 5 of a 6 day trip. We had planned to do the troll exp snorkeling trip, but daughter and I have a contraindication.

The golden circle snowmobile tour with hot spring looks great, but seems too $$$.
What we have planned so far:
Day 1,early am arrival, bus to blue lagoon for 2-3 hours, nap at hotel, food tour at 5
Days 2 and 3 - A 2 day troll expedition tour of south coast includes skaftafell Glacier hike, ice cave, black sand beach, SELJALANDSFOSS WATERFALL, northern lights (weather permitting), SELJALANDSFOSS WATERFALL, glacier lagoon, diamond beach.
Day 4- self touring Reykjavik (suggestions welcome!)
Day 5 - ???

Day 6 - self touring Reykjavik until 13:00 when we have to head to airport to depart

Posted by
678 posts

Be forewarned -- the Blue Lagoon has closed again due to the possible volcanic eruption. That area is unsettled with no knowing of when the next eruption will be. There are other hot springs that you could visit from Reykjavik that aren't in the volcano area.

Posted by
2035 posts

I agree, have a plan B for a thermal soak. Sky is wonderful but very crowded right now because of the BL closures. Consider either Secret Lagoon or Fontana, both in the Golden Circle. Or Hvammsvik Hot Springs which is about 45 minutes north of Reykjavik. This one is our personal favorite of all of the commercial lagoons we have been to on many Iceland trips. Also, do not forget abut local pools right in town. We like Sundhollin, and they have rooftop hot tubs!

If you are coming in from the US, that first day is tiring. I would not take a nap, but rather stay outside as much as possible and move. If this were my trip, I would skip the nap and move the food tour to around 2 or 3. There is a LOT of food on that so it will cover you for both lunch and dinner. Then after the tour you could wander a bit or just head to your hotel and be done for the night. We did this exact same thing just a few weeks ago. You can easily fit in wandering Reykjavik this day as well.

Your Troll trip sounds perfect.

Since you have day 4 and 5 free, I would do a 1 night tour to Snaefellsness. Then you still have the morning for any last minute Reykjavik stuff.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Mikliz97. It is helpful to know about the situation at Blue Lagoon and Sky. And Hvammsvik looks wonderful. Sky was our first choice but the convenience of the bus from the airport swayed us to Blue Lagoon on day 1. I think if we change the hot spring location and date we would only have time to go to Snæfellsjökull for a day trip. Also, I already booked our hotel in Reykjavik for that time period. Do you think a day trip would be worth while? It seems to be a relatively short distance from Reykjavik.

Posted by
2035 posts

A day trip to Snaefellsness is easily doable😊 If you do this you can easily do Hvammsvik along the way.

Posted by
4 posts

After reading all the warnings about driving in the winter (even though I live in New England) I feel it will be less stressful to leave the driving to tour drivers, so we won't be able to combine Hvammsvik, unless I get lucky and find such a tour.

Posted by
2035 posts

Some tours are including that now, so take a look. I wish I could remember who it was with!