Please sign in to post.

4 night stopover in June 2023

To get a good overview in a relatively short time (4 nights), should we stay in Reykjavik and just drive and do tours each day, or should we move after a day or two in Reykjavik as a base. We would want to do a spa, probably Fontana, and ring road highlights.

Sorry if that’s vague, we basically want to come away feeling we got a decent idea of the highlights of Iceland without running ourselves ragged.

Thanks!

Posted by
365 posts

we basically want to come away feeling we got a decent idea of the highlights of Iceland without running ourselves ragged.

You answered your own question. 4 nights is very brief, just stay in 1 spot and day trip

Posted by
1318 posts

Lindsay, I too have a stopover in Iceland on my way to Portugal at the end of September. The stopover I have is for 3 nights. My research has all led me to decide to stay in Reykjavik and take day trips from there. Planning on booking two tours with Reykjavik Expeditions (1) South Coast, and (2) Golden Circle with Fontana springs. That gives me one full day of exploring the city of Reykjavik upon arrival. Since I arrive too early for hotel check in, hopefully the guesthouse will hold my luggage so that I can explore right away. If not, I see there is luggage storage at the Bus Station. Plan on taking the Flybus from the airport.

My flight onward to Portugal, via Frankfurt, leaves Iceland VERY early so I’m not counting that day. Hoping you will enjoy your trip.

Posted by
2018 posts

We have been 4 times so far, so this is my take 😊 I would use arrival day for Reykjavik and stay overnight to get over jet lag. Then rent a car in the morning and venture out on your own for the next two nights up along the south coast. Stay your last night fairly close to the airport, such as in Grindavik. If you rent through Blue car Rental you can pick it ip right in Reykjavik and drop it at the airport. I personally would not stay in Reykjavik the entire time as you will spend a lot of time backtracking, even with yours. You can easily drive this area yourself.

Posted by
123 posts

mikliz97 do you have towns you'd recommend as good stopping points after Reyk?

Posted by
2018 posts

Lindsay--With just 4 nights you won't see much of the ring road highlights, but you do have time to really see some great areas. I would do the first night in Reykjavik to get over jet lag and see the city. If you are up for a lot of driving, you could do the Snaefellsness Peninsula, Reykjavik and some of the south coast. Or you could do Reykjavik and the south coast and not be as rushed, which is what I would suggest.

If you did that, I would stay in Reykjavik the first night to get over jet lag and to see the city. Then in the morning I would head up the south coast towards Vik. That is only a 3 hour drive, but there are so many stops along here that it will take longer. Or if you can go a bit further to Hof, that will be about 5 hours drive time. If you did that though, you could do the zodiac boat tour at Jokulsarlon the next morning as well as Diamond Beach and then meander back down the south coast and stay the third night somewhere around Vik. The next day I would meander back down the south coast to the vicinity of Hella or Selfoss. Then you could do the Golden Circle as well. Without knowing what time the last day your flight is, you might even be able to do some of the Reykjanes Peninsula. The problem is there are SO many options and SO many things to see, so it gets hard to narrow it down. We have been a handful of times and still succumb to this and try to cram too much stuff in;)

Posted by
4517 posts

Staying in one spot and day tripping will be expensive if you choose tours. Renting a car in Reykjakik the next day works well, there are ones with central locations like Blue Car Rental, but the downtown airport is not really that far out if you choose Hertz or another international chain. Recommend credit card insurance over the expensive insurance offered onsite, and don't fall for the sandblasting insurance pitch.

General Comment: Everyone stops over in Iceland going eastbound to Europe, which is fine until a person realizes that the flights onward to Europe are very early, that the airport is way out of town, and there's a lot of stress involved in early transport and getting up at 3 am. The reverse direction is afternoon arrival and departure, westbound, so works much better. There is a hotel at the airport which may make sense if adding up all the individual shuttle tickets.

Airport Shuttle: Grayline is cheaper than the big one (Flybus I think) by about half and has a departure that meets the US/Canada arrivals at about 7:30am, and does not involve a transfer to a smaller bus at an intermediate stop the way Flybus does but you may have to walk a couple of blocks to reach a downtown hotel.

Posted by
2018 posts

I disagree with Tom regarding the insurance. We take all of it, including the sand and ash. Just do a quick google search and see what that can do to a car there and what the cost is to have that repaired. We have rented with Blue on 3 of our trips, and will be using them again this summer. They are great to work with and don't play games, FWIW.

Posted by
4517 posts

Yes but sandblasting and wind damage are included in a lot of credit card insurance. Look for words like covers "all damage" or "any damage." Get a Chase card (Sapphire, United Airlines) just for the excellent free car insurance if you don't have good coverage already with one of your cards. It's worth the $100 annual fee just for the one trip, and if you get a good sign up bonus that pays for future trips all the better.

Just to clarify: Insurance sold onsite will have multiple pieces, at least 4, to get coverage for all damage. If you are going that way then you should probably get it all. I wouldn't frankenstein credit card coverage that implies it only covers collision damage with onsite glass/wind/ash coverage.

Posted by
2018 posts

Blue has an all inclusive insurance, so you don’t have to piecemeal it.

Posted by
123 posts

Good to know ahead of time, and I'll call my credit card company in advance to find out what they cover. Thanks!