I'm planning a trip to Iceland over the first week of September and am unsure if I should plan 2 or 3 nights in the Vik area for road-tripping the Golden Circle to the South Coast
Right now the plan is a full-day Golden Circle on Day 1:
- Thingvellier NP, Geysir, Gullfoss, and snorkeling silfra
Then we'd overnight in Hella area or Vik (night 1)
Over days 2-3 we'd like to visit/do the following:
- Skogafoss (potential hike there, est 2.3 hrs)
- Reynisfjara black sand beach and Dyrhólaey
- Svartifoss hike (est 1 hr)
- Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon (potential hike there, est 1 hr)
- Eldhraun Lava Field
- Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon
- Diamond beach
- 3 hr glacier hike from Skaftafell
We will definitely spend night 2 in the Vik or Skaftafell area.
I'm debating if that's enough for overnights and on day 3 we could hit up anything that we didn't get to on day 2 before heading back to Reykjavik that evening, or if we should spend an extra night (night 3) in the same area before heading back to Reykjavik on day 4.