Please sign in to post.

Reviews from Iceland September 2024

This was my 7th trip to Iceland, so I thought I would share my thoughts yet again on places we stayed, ate, experienced. Some of these are repeats from past trips, for good reason.

Hotels:

Reykjavik--Center Hotel Laugarvegur. We have stayed here several times and it is consistently good. They have free parking on site, a bit hard to find the first time though. Breakfast is included. It is an easy 15 minute or so walk to the heart of the city, but all along Laugarvegur which is the main road that visitors wander down. We paid for 2 nights so that we could get right into our room as we arrive very early in the morning. If you do not do this, they do let you leave your luggage until check in. This is also at a bus stop, so if you are doing tours this is a pick up spot. We paid $224 per night, which included a welcome drink.

Stikkisholmur--Hotel Egilsen. We have stayed in Stikkosholmur before, but this was our first time at this hotel. Free parking on site, breakfast was extra, about $20 pp, and the best breakfast of our trip. We had a superior twin room and paid $221. The room was very nice, and quite spacious. There is no elevator and the staircase is narrow and steep, but easy enough to maneuver with luggage. The shower was great, and we appreciated a little lip down so that the water did not go onto the rest of the floor in the bathroom.

Reykholt (Golden Circle area)--Arbakki Farmhouse Lodge. We had a double room with a private bathroom and paid $168. Breakfast was included. Our room was right next to the entry way, but we never heard a peep. We also had a back door out the bathroom to a little patio and that led to a hot tub. Just past that is a wide open field that was a great place to watch the northern lights. They ask you to leave your shoes at the front door, and they have slippers for your use if you want.

Vik (just south of there)--Giljur Guesthouse. We had a twin room (2 twins) with shared baths and paid $201. They leave an envelope at the front door entry with your name and room number and key. Again, you leave your shoes at the front door. Our room had a 3rd twin bed, so that was nice to put our luggage on. There were very few outlets I the room, but they did have a power strip on the desk. The two shared bathrooms were very clean and we never had to wait to use them. They provided washcloths as well, which is rare. You had the use of a kitchen and dining room, but we did not use it except to fill our water bottles in the morning. The windows look out over big open sheep fields, so a great spot to watch the aurora again. There is no food on site, so you need to either bring your own for in the kitchen or drive to Vik which is about 10 minutes away.

Hofn ( about 40 km away)--Guesthouse Nypugardur. We had one of the two cottages here and paid $140. This guesthouse is in the middle of nowhere, but has a Hofn address. It sits up on a bluff, so you get the full weather experience;) our cottage was very comfortable, but quite rustic. The door lock stumped us a few times and we had a hard time getting out. The beds were comfy and they had the heaviest duvets, which was good as it is much colder up here. The bathroom was pretty sparse, but doable. There was a couch in the room, which again was nice to have somewhere to put our luggage. The cottage also had a small table and chairs. Our deck looked out over a huge sheep field and we had sweeping views. There is a restaurant on site. Breakfast is included, but dinner its not and is served only from 7-8:30pm. Limited menu, but good.

Posted by
2515 posts

Selfoss (about 10 minutes away)--Hótel Eldhestar. This hotel is all one story and the rooms all have a glass wall of windows and glass door out to your own little patio. We paid $233 for a superior triple room. It was extremely spacious, and very nice! Breakfast was included. They have a restaurant for lunch and dinner. We had fish soup here for lunch, but ate dinner elsewhere. This is a horse farm and they offer a multitude of rides for every ability. We did one and the guide was excellent! This hotel sits quite close to route 1, but there was no noise at all, and we had the most phenomenal aurora show there that night. The best I have seen in all of our trips to Iceland!

Restaurants:

Sjavargrillid (Reykjavik)--We had lunch here. D had the shellfish salad and I had the langustine (tiny lobsters) tacos, that are smaller than regular street tacos. We also had the bread and butter. D declared it the best salad she had ever had, and I tried it and agreed! This is right on the rainbow road and you definitely want reservations. $56

The Sea Baron (Reykjavik)--This was dinner our first night. They do not take reservations and it is extremely casual as seating is along big communal benches. We each had the lobster soup and then shared potato and veggie kabobs. $45

Braud & Co. (Reykjavik)--The best cinnamon rolls! I don't remember the cost, but they are very inexpensive.

Stapinn (Arnastapi)--Great place for lunch. We had the lamb and fish soups, and both came with bread. Cost was $52.

Narfeyrarstofa (Stikkisholmur)--Excellent!!! Reservations a must. They only hold your reservation for 10 minutes and if you are a no show, they charge your card. Well worth it though. We each had a drink, shared a salad (could be an entree it is so big), and then each had the cod with potatoes and capers. There was also bread and butter. Everything was done to perfection, and the cod was a very large serving. This was our best dinner of the trip. Total cost was $132.

Hvammssvik Hot Spring (45 minutes north of Reykjavik)--After our time here, we had lunch in their bistro. We shared an open sandwich and had a lemonade to share and it ran us $25. Excellent!

Mika (Reykholt)--I had been here before so knew it was a must. We shared the starter of the scallops, then D had the salad (entree size) and I had the lamb fillet. We each had their hot chocolate for dessert. Our total was $106.

Fridheimer (Reykholt)--This is the famous tomato growing hothouses and they serve a buffet lunch of tomato soups and bread . We were early for our reservation and a table was not ready, so we opted to sit in the bar area and instead of a buffet, you could get a large mug of soup, with a large bread roll, and we shared the tomato cheesecake. This is served in a tiny terra cotta pot and looks like a flower. Almost too pretty to eat;) This ran us $34.

Black Crust Pizza (Vik)--Best pizza ever! You have the option of black crust or sourdough, and we opted for the black crust. it looks like it is burnt, but that is not the case at all. We arrived later in the evening so chose to to take away. One pizza ran us $24.

Fish n Chips at Jokulsarlon--I do not remember what this cost, but it was so good. There are several food trucks here, and this one was the furthest down so the least crowded. The cod was so fresh and the coating was not greasy at all. I do remember that it was very inexpensive.

Posted by
2515 posts

Guesthouse Nypugardar (near Hofn)--This place sits out all by itself, so you either drive 40 km to the town of Hofn or eat here. We chose not to drive into town as it was already dark when we arrived. Thankfully they have dinner here, but it is only served between 7-8:30pm. D had the lamb burger and I had the lamb fillet. Her burger was excellent and my lamb was a tad overcooked, but still tasted fine. My veggies were a bit lackluster, but I give them a pass with all things considered. This ran us $45.

Skool Beans (Vik)--This issue an old school bus turned into the cutest coffee shop. They have muffins etc as well, but hot drinks are their specialty. We had one latte and one hot cocoa and it ran us $35, I also bought 3 paw shaped demitasse spoons for gifts. There is limited seating inside, but outside there are plenty of picnic tables.

Ingolfsskali Viking Restaurant (near Selfoss)--We have dined here before so it was a must on my list. D was not feeling good so only had the bread and butter. I had the cod dish. The bread was so good, and came butter topped with salt (typical in Iceland), as well as another topping. The cod dish had a cauliflower puree, potatoes apples, toasted almonds and hazelnuts. This ran us $49. The atmosphere here is so nice, and you can do axe throwing before or after dinner.

Excursions/Misc:

Blue Car Rental--7 day rental with full insurance ran us about $934.

Parking--Many visitors sights charge for parking and it run around $5-7, and you pay with the Parka app most of the time.

Helgafell--A sweet little hike up on Snaefellsness and they ask for a donation of 450 kr ($3.33 US dollars) per person. This is cash only and there is an honor jar, so we put in 1000 kr.

Hvammsvik Hot Springs--My favorite commercial hot spring in all of ours trips there! This was $169 for two of us. Reservations a must. The cold plunge is in the fjord, and they have water shoes if you need. Great little bistro on site as well.

Hrunalaug--Wonderful little rustic hot spring in the Golden Circle. Cash only, 2500kr pp, so about $18 each. This is private properly so they limit how many people can go at a time, to keep it nice. There is a restroom as well as a shower, and then the changing rooms are one for men and one for women. Inside the changing room are hand baskets that you can use to put all of our stuff and you can take it down to the hot springs so you have your towel, phone etc nearby if you want. You can also leave it in the changing room.

Gjain--There are 2 ways you can access this. One is a VERY rough road, about 6.6 km, and the other you absolutely need a 4x4 with extra clearance. I would not take anything less than a Toyota Land Cruiser on this road. We missed the first road, so went up the mountain and finally found the 2nd access road. Our vehicle was AWD, but I was not confident in our clearance, so we turned around when we saw what it looked like. Headed back down the mountain and found the other road. Stopped a vehicle coming out to ask and they said it's fine, but so rough so take it super slow. Two small water crossings as well. I think we drove about 10 mph, if that, the entire way it was so rough. The hike in was beautiful with the fall colors, but then you scramble on down and enter what looks like a fairytale. My new bionic knees were happy:) Parking was free here. You do not want to do this in the dark, or really be driving out in the dark, so plan accordingly. I also would not want to drive this in the rain.

Posted by
2515 posts

Jokulsarlon Zodiac boat ride--We have done this before and it is so much fun! We had great weather and our guide was excellent. This cost us $214 for the two of us. Note, when you book you get a receipt and when you arrive you need to take that to the ticket trailer and they give you your actual ticket. Then you check in at the trailer and they outfit you with a survival suit. It is best to leave all of your stuff in your car. You can leave stuff in that trailer, but it is not secured. You can park either in the main lot, or across the road at diamond beach. There is a path to walk under the bridge that connects the two. Parking is 1000 kr here (roughly $7), paid via the Parka app. There are also a handful of food trucks in the main parking lot which is nice as there is nothing else nearby.

Eldhestar Diversity horse ride (near Selfoss)--This was a 3 hour ride and cost us $259 for the two of us. On this day our group was only 6 people which was nice. Our guide was excellent and we even got to tolt!

One thing to note is that once you leave Vik and head north, the towns are far and few between so you really need to keep an eye on the gas gauge. We filled up in Vik and then drove to the guesthouse near Hofn. On our way back down we filled up at the first gas station we could find. The rule of thumb in Iceland is to not let the gas gauge go below half a tank.