Please sign in to post.

Viking River Cruise

Will be taking an Eastern Europe Viking river cruise which passes through different countries including Hungary, Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania. As it turns out, none of the countries uses the Euro currency. Will it be absolutely necessary to have in hand the respective local currencies or is the Euro widely accepted? Foresee a problem getting some of these currencies in my home country.

Posted by
91 posts

I can tell you for sure that Hungary and Croatia take the Euro. Not sure about the others, but would be surprised if they don't.

Posted by
558 posts

Why will you need cash?

I've not been on Viking, but friends who have said that it's very inclusive for tours, meals, etc. Any major souvineer shops or better restaurants will accept a credit card (check first). Only small or street vendors may want cash.

Does anyone recall seeing a relatively recent post regarding a negative experience on this cruise? I did a search but could not find the post I remember.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Jkh and Larry,

Thank you for the prompt replies. We will be joining the included tours for half a day each and hope to go around the places where we dock, on our own for the rest of the day. Was wondering if the Euro will then be accepted for transport and small purchases.

Posted by
507 posts

You will likely be able to use your credit card in all of those countries. And in the tourist zones where you will be going, I am going to guess that the Euro will be accepted at least some of the time, though it may cost you a little more to pay in Euros instead of the local currency.

For example I am starting a cruise next weekend in Hungary, where the forint is used, but my group is doing a tuktuk tour before we depart that we'll pay for in Euros.

Posted by
286 posts

Croatia has been a euro country since last year. Merchants in Hungary may well take euros but they don’t have to as it is not the country’s currency (the forint is) and their exchange rate may not be favorable.

Posted by
23545 posts

Accepting the Euro is iffy BUT if they do, the exchange rate will be poor. Second you could always use a debit card at a bank owned ATM to obtain a little cash if you thought you would need it. Do not obtain other local currency in the US. The exchange rate will be even worse. Nearly everywhere, except for some, not all, street vendors, will accept credit cards. Having local currency on a Viking cruise is low on my priority list.

Posted by
91 posts

American Express credit cards are normally not accepted throughout Europe. VISA or Mastercard are accepted.

Posted by
4574 posts

Answer only for Budapest:

I can tell you for sure that Hungary and Croatia take the Euro.

I can also tell you for sure that the currency in Hungary is the forint. While it is possible you could use euros, like Frank said the exchange rate would be bad and you would get your change back in forints anyway. So you would still be stuck with cash you don’t want, plus spending more for your purchase since you can’t use the change.

What is far more likely is that you won’t need cash at all. You will be there such a short time, without any chance of getting off the tourist track. Almost everywhere takes credit cards or Apple Pay/Google Pay. If you find somewhere that only takes cash, just move along to somewhere else, unless it is a specific arranged situation like kayla.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you very much for all your replies, which have been most helpful. I will probably use my debit/credit cards, failing which, then to withdraw some cash from the ATMs if absolutely necessary.

Posted by
19502 posts

For example I am starting a cruise next weekend in Hungary, where the
forint is, but my group is doing a tuktuk tour before we depart that
we'll pay for in Euros.

The junk shops and many of the restaurants along the river front and up and down Vaci utca take Euros, so do a lot of the other tourist service providers in town (tuk tuk, taxis, massage salons, tour guides, HOHO bus, etc.). If they offer to take payment in Euro or Forint then the Euro cost will be higher. Its not so much about the exchange rate. It more about them having to reprint menus every time the rate changes so they start high not to have to do it often; and they must then take your euros to an exchange house to convert unless they have a euro bank account (many do).

If a lot of the places you walk into are taking Euros, then you are definately not using the back door. You are in the thick of the tourist trade. I would suggest drawing at least 10.000 forints and getting off the tourist trail. You probably wont NEED the cash, but its another way to interact with the culture.

The few Viking tours of the city that I am familiar with are pretty structured and a bit hurried. There is a lot you can do on your own with a little advance planning and understanding of the city. The Viking time in Budapest is limited but in a full day, using public transportation, you can easily do the Parliament outside and the Shoes on the Danube, Great Market Hall, Dohany utca (Great) Synagogue tour, Opera House tour, Andrassy ut sightseeing and Heroe's square and the bath house.

Dont rush too much. Its the views along the way that the city is famous for. Listen to the begining comments about Budapest from A.Bourdain: https://youtu.be/0nd9DuDGCz0?si=pJFyNGYWZtOFxie0