Please sign in to post.

Train from Budapest to Prague

Need guidance. please.

We are planning to take a train from Budapest to Prague in December. What's the best way to do this?

• Can/should we buy tickets online?
  • How far in advance are tickets available online?
  • Are there sites you recommend? Sites to avoid?

Any suggestions would really help! Thank you!

Posted by
17832 posts

Can/should we buy tickets online?

Yes and Yes

How far in advance are tickets available online?

Recently I tried buying tickets from Kosice to Budapest about 2 months in advance and the sale wouldn't go through, so I waited a week and all was good; so yes, there might be some restrictions about how far in advance buy under 60 days I suspect no problem.

Are there sites you recommend? Sites to avoid?

Here is the Hungarian Rail Service (MAV) website: https://jegy.mav.hu/ Its been improved a bit this past year and is pretty easy to use. Avoid all other sites if you are departing Budapest.

I am not a romantic train traveler. Even the 3+ hour trip back to Budapest from Kosice is not one I am looking forward to (but worth it for the fishing). No way I would take the train to Prague; too many cheap and quicker flights. https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/czech/prague-to-budapest-transportation-options But it is very much a personal preference thing and if you enjoy the trains then have a blast.

Posted by
84 posts

@Katheryne- Thanks! That's our go-to site. But was looking for some current experiences and recommendations :)

@James- Thanks for all the very helpful details! My husband and I just LOVE European train rides! But will definitely look into flying.

Posted by
19963 posts

Right now, there is a replacement bus for part of the way in Hungary to the Slovak border, but direct trains look to be running by August, taking 7 hours. Train is only on the schedule to the end of August, so keep an eye open when you get to November.

Posted by
17832 posts

You have some good options for the train ride to Prague.

Quite a few choices; but for the scenic views remember sunrise is about 07:30 and sunset is about 16:00.

Do a bit of research on Nyugati Station and enjoy the history too

There are direct trains between the two cities and most don't go through Vienna, usually it's something like Budapest > Bratislava > Brno > Praha and takes about 6 hours. No need to switch.

You can find the schedule and tickets at regiojet.cz or cd.cz