Please sign in to post.

Train from Budapest to Munich

My wife and I will be traveling from Budapest to Munich towards the end of May 2016. Trying to figure the best way to get train tickets on line. Also, I have read that all trains stop in Saltzburg for boarder crossing security. How does this effect the arrival time in Munich noted on the various train schedules? Any information on this route would be appreciated.

Posted by
17908 posts

I buy tickets when I get to town, but you can save some by getting them on line

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/x/uf?iehack=%3F&ed=57165D82&mikor=-1&isz=0&language=2&k=&ref=&retur=&nyit=&_charset_=utf-8&vparam=&i=BUDAPEST*&e=M%C3%9CNCHEN*&v=&d=16.04.21&u=1&go=Timetable

As for the issue at the border, this is the current statement:

Passengers travelling from Budapest to Munich with railjet train must leave the train at Salzburg station, where border control will be carried out. A connecting railjet train will be provided towards Munich, where seat reservation is obligatory. There is no such border control when travelling from Munich towards Budapest. The EuroNight train EN 462/463 (Kálmán Imre) operates again with full service (i.e. with seat, couchette and sleeping cars) between Budapest and Munich. At Salzburg station travel documents and ID/passport of all passengers in the seat car will be checked. Although the attendants of the couchette and sleeping cars will collect the travel documents in advance, occasional and thorough controls may be expected in these cars.
As of 8 March 2016, InterCity trains IC200/201 (Agram) and IC204/205 (Rippl-Ronai) are available again for travelling between Hungary and Croatia (via Gyékényes border station). Magyarbóly border station remains closed until further notice.
Click here for up-do-date information on the international railway traffic.
Please note that home printing of international tickets is not possible. International tickets booked online must be collected at any of the Ticket Collection Points located at railway stations in Hungary before your journey. Passengers travelling without a collected ticket must purchase a new ticket on board and pay penalty.

Posted by
27 posts

if you want to save some good money on your tickets, then definitely buy your tickets in advance via Hungarian Railways website (link above), this way you'll have a chance to catch discounted "München Spezial" offer tickets (29 euro). When buying before departure you'll pay like 3 times more for the same 2nd class seats