We will be in Budapest in about a month. So far we have booked a Parliament tour, a walking tour of the Jewish district and tickets to the Operetta. We are interested in a Danube dinner cruise and also Hungarian folk shows, but since we won't know the weather, we are not keen on booking a Danube cruise until we get there. Do we need to book either of these activities in advance or can they be booked same day?
Don't know about either of those, but if you plan to go to the House of Terror, you might check to see whether you can get your tickets online. I just walked up around 10:30 or 11 AM in May 2018, and I was hung up for 20 or 30 minutes behind one or more school groups. It wasn't a disaster and my timing may well have been the worst possible, but the way tourism in Budapest is growing year after year, I fear that sight may be moving into buy-in-advance territory.
Probably, very possibly, most likely.
The Danube dinner cruise (with Hungarian folk music and dancing) that I took in mid-October last year was fully booked, but I don't know how far in advance that was the case. I booked in mid-September through my hotel and paid cash. The cancellation policy was very flexible as I recall.
I booked a Hungarian folk dance and music ensemble at Duna Palota the day before, or perhaps the morning of, the show. The show was not sold out.
Irene, we are considering the Legenda evening cruise without the dinner. If you are interested, Rick Steves has negotiated a special discount for his readers. The quoted price is 3,700 HUF. (You must book direct and ask for RS price). I just tore out the page from the RS Budapest Guidebook & will book at the Legenda dock in front of the Marriott on the Pest embankment. www.legenda.hu
We booked a Danube River cruise before we arrived, but due to a traffic situation we missed the departure time. The next couple of nights were sold out, but Legenda let us transfer our reservation to third night out (which happened to be our last). The people on the cruise with us that we spoke to had booked their cruises a couple of days to a couple of hours before. So it's probably possible to wait to see how the weather turns out.
And it's worth every bit of $13.