Please sign in to post.

Salzburg to Budapest

I have 5 free nights between Salzburg and Budapest. Some options are Hallstatt, Cesky Krumlov, Melk, Györ and/or combination of those. I have already spent considerable time in Vienna and don't feel the need to return. I will be traveling in June using public transportation and prefer to avoid 1-2 nights stopovers.

Posted by
17916 posts

You are considering Hallstatt, Cesky Krumlov, Melk, Györ, but want to avoid 1 or 2 night stop overs? All of those are 1 or 2 night stops at best. None is central to the others so to make staying one place and visiting the others.
How about you go to Budapest, then split your stay in Budapest with 3 nights in Pecs or Eger?

Posted by
745 posts

You're right, James E. I think that is why I'm getting stuck with this itinerary. I currently have 5 nights in Budapest and could add 3 nights to visit Eger or Pecs. That leaves me with 2 extra nights where I could still stop somewhere on the way from Salzburg to Budapest. Any ideas?

Posted by
17916 posts

Im really biased so i would say stop in Gyor. The town and the archabbey and winery at Pannonhalma are worth the time. The morning train leaves at 9:08, makes about 3:45 and gets you in at 12:53. Plenty of time to see the town. Spend the night at the hotel Klastrom (converted 18th century monastery). Next morning take a cab to the Archabbey returning when you want as there is a train to Budapest about every 30 minutes. Travel time to Budapest about 1.5 hours.....

Posted by
17916 posts

Also understand that i spend close to 24 nights a year in Budapest and I havent gotten bored yet. If you were to get a nice apartment in town you could take day trips or over night trips with just a small bag and return "home" afterward. Put all 5 nights into Budapest and make it a 10 night trip with two night stays in Pecs and Eger, and a couple day trips

Posted by
745 posts

I like your idea of Györ, James E. I checked out hotel Klastrom's website and it looks nice. The archabbey is the type of thing that interests me, too. Plus, Györ is conveniently located on the train line to Budapest.