Please sign in to post.

Recommendations for Budapest Hotels Sept 2021

After may years of RS tours, my husband and I are booked on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest with a couple of days planned in Budapest after the cruise. I would appreciate suggestions and comments on hotels, especially those similar to the ones used on RS tours. With that said, I should probably add that we are of an age where a lift/elevator would be appreciated!
Thanks!
J&M

Posted by
1792 posts

I took the RS Prague and Budapest tour a couple of years ago. We stayed at the K+K Opera hotel. Well located a short walk from the opera metro station. Nice clean rooms, elevator, and a good selection at breakfast. Business style hotel so it’s lacking in local charm. Based on the number of different itineraries I saw posted in the lobby I think many tour groups use them. Might be good to book early.

Posted by
17636 posts

Rocket, I am amazed because I know he has used a couple of sort of shabby hotels in town too, but the K&K is usually where I suggest people to stay if they don't have any over riding criteria. I've stayed there a number of times over the years and Its a pretty wonderful location and actually very nice as a good 4 star hotel complete with elevators.

Posted by
334 posts

Danubius Hotel Astoria was my choice. The old world charm and great location sold me. And I even made the staid front desk gentleman smile.

Posted by
470 posts

Judy, we stayed at the K/K during a RS tour too. The hotel was fine; a well- located ‘tour group”property. Our room location was not fine. To cool off our room we had to sleep with the windows open. Unfortunately we were directly across the street from an Irish pub. It was a long night of chain smokers, frequent outbursts of shouting voices, and several loud bouts of retching onto the curb.
During another independent trip we stayed at the Hotel Moments. We thought the location was excellent. The rooms, amenities, and common spaces are quite lovely. The price was very moderate for the quality. On subsequent trips we will return to this hotel. https://hotelmomentsbudapest.hu/
We also spent a couple of nights up in Buda using Hilton points. They upgraded us to a HUGE suite overlooking the river. We prefer a Pest location because we use public transport exclusively, and on that trip we were arriving/ departing by train.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all so much for the quick replies!

James E, I have been considering K&K since I know that the RS tours have stayed there, though it does seem so much larger than what I usually associate with the tours. I have a friend whose tour stayed at the Andrassy Hotel Budapest. Is it comparable to the K&K or smaller? Also mentioned was the Budapest Kalvin House.

Traveling Mom. Thanks for your input! I will take a look at Hotel Moments.

James, have you got your trip with your daughter scheduled yet. Sounds like a good plan! I plan to check out some of your October Birthday itinerary even though we're a month early. ;)
J&M

Posted by
4539 posts

I loved my stay at the K&K Hotel. The staff were quite helpful.

The hotel has 2 towers. The elevator for one is immediately inside the main door of the hotel. The elevator for the other is ... through the lobby, through the lounge, past the bar and the breakfast room and a bit further down the hall. It took me about 10 minutes to get to my first room! I asked to be switched to a room in the closer tower.

I would advise requesting a room in the central tower to avoid the "commute."

My window faced another wall of rooms so there was no street noise.

Posted by
17636 posts

Judy W: I believe you are talking about the Mamaison Hotel Andrassy which is pretty far out on Andrassy ut; otherwise looks like a nice hotel but I would rather be a bit closer in, especially on a short stay (but you can hop the M1 Metro line to reach the center).

The hotel Kalvan House is back behind the Great Market Hall which isn’t really central to everything, but looks like a nice hotel and if you don’t mind hopping on the tram a lot it could work.

But if you are short on time, you would be better served with the K&K or the Hotel Moments (never stayed there, but good location and I have been in the lobby, also very nice).

I leave on 1 July for Ukraine, my daughter on 7 July, we meet in Istanbul on 8 July and then we are off to what ever is open; returning 30 July (thanks for asking).

Posted by
3039 posts

In 2019, we stayed in the Ibis Hotel near Hosok Ter. Very nice, not much charm, excellent breakfast.

We also stayed in a boat hotel near Margit Island. Now that was fun. Grand Jules I think.

Posted by
41 posts

Don't know if pricing is an issue (since I'd say some of the hotels listed are a little above my price range). I'm traveling in August, and I personally picked the "Hotel City Inn", for 40 USD a night. It's location is nice, had great reviews, and the price, while on the upper half for my budget, was still cheaper than most places with its quality that I saw.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to you all for the great suggestions. I made a reservation at Hotel Moments. Unfortunately our cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest was just cancelled so I have had to cancel the hotel. I'm trying to rebook for next year but haven't done so yet.
Thanks, Traveling Mom, for the suggestion!
James E.... I know you are traveling, but if you see this could you let me know which guidebook you like best for Budapest? I can only remember that it was not RS. Hope you are having a great time in Turkey and beyond! Is Aya Sophia still open to the public??

Posted by
17636 posts

https://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Budapest-Travel-Guide/dp/0241407966/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=DK+Eyewitness+Budapest&qid=1624336343&s=books&sr=1-1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Budapest-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide/dp/0241364698/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=DK+Eyewitness+Budapest&qid=1624336366&s=books&sr=1-3

Both good. One more complete than the other.

Moments I think was a good choice.

I will send you a PM with more.

And I dont leave till 1 July. But I will have a laptop because I have to work on vacation..