Please sign in to post.

One Day in Budapest

Staying in Vienna and would like to take train to Budapest for the day. What are the Must See things to see in Budapest in one day?
First time in Budapest.

Posted by
17916 posts

With little time a few things to consider before an answer.

Three choices for the length of stay

A. Morning train down and late train back. Doable but ..... and I am going to guess the majority of people that do this regret not spending the night.
B. Morning train down, spend the night and a morning train back. That will take an additional 3 hours or so out of your time in Vienna but it opens the activities in the evening in Budapest. Good if you are into dining, theater, opera, jazz, or just admiring the lights of Budapest at night; or maybe an evening cruise of the Danube. The City has lights that rival any place in Europe.
C. Afternoon train (or morning) down, then a day in Budapest including spending the night, then a morning train back to Vienna. Will cost you maybe 8 hours out of Vienna. Two evenings in town wont be a waste.

Day of the week:

If you are interested in the Jewish history of Budapest, then know that much of that closes in the afternoon on Friday and does not reopen until Sunday.
If you are interested in museums, then know that many are closed on Monday
The Great Market Hall is closed on Sunday.

Time of Year:

Significant if theater, opera, concerts are of interest. Not many in the warm months.
Actual dates would really help.

General Interests:

History (what period)
Architecture
Bath Houses
Food
High end or you like slumming
Wine or beer

Cost:

We can find you a nice $75 hotel if that's okay or for $200 you can be quite comfortable (maybe with a view of the Danube). Or maybe you are a Four Seasons type? Might be fun for one night (starts at about $600 I believe .... but might be your one big splurge for the trip)

So, ball is in your court. Then maybe i can suggest a program.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
I vote for an over night in Budapest. Morning there, noon back.

The Buda Hills are famous, but with limited time you might consider staying on the flood plane of the Danube...Pest.

If you go to the Grand Market (great?) get into the basement, and up to the top floor.
If you get near the Opera House...on the opposite side is the Cafe Muvesz . Have a seat in the front or the back room. Cake and coffee. It is a classic place. A good place to get off your feet for a while.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
17916 posts

Okay, since the OP is a hit and run, lets just have fun and pretend it’s an overnight and it occurs after the theaters re-open for the fall. Lets also pretend that it is not on Saturday or Sunday.

Thursday: Morning train into Budapest (08:42 to 11:19) About 2.5 hours.

Time is of the essence so as your train is pulling into Keleti Station, call City Taxi. The pickup is outside on the left if you are standing with your back to the front of the station.

Head straight to the Intercontinental or the Marriott to check in. Normally I say stay further inland but with such little time I am looking for impact, and staying on the river will provide that. (ignore flood plain talk).

Out in front of the hotel on the Danube side you will find some cafes for lunch and a view to Buda. Beautiful spot. Eat lunch.

As you eat you will see trams running past from right to left.

Download “BudapestGO” on your phone and get a 24 hour pass and after lunch get on the tram (right to left). When the tram goes under a bridge and stops, get off. Go up the stairs and you will see the great Market Hall. As suggested, don’t miss the basement. Stinks to high heaven with fish and pickles but worth it.

After about an hour in the Market, go outside and notice the tram that runs away from the river. This is the 47/49 Tram. Take it away from the river two stops to the Astoria stop. Get off and walk maybe 300m further to the Great Synagogue and take the short tour.

Now its maybe 3pm

Follow the tram line about 300m and you will find another stop. Get on and take it to the end stop. Cross the street to your right and about 200m further up is Andrassy ut, the champs de elysee of Budapest.

Option 1: Walk up Andrassy ut and soon you will find yourself in front of the Opera House. With a little luck you timed it perfect for the tour you prepurchased at 4:30. https://opera.jegy.hu/?lang=en If you are running late take the M1 metro from the end of Andrassy ut to the opera house stop (stairs on the right hand side of the street).

Option 2: Take the M1 to the Oktogon stop, get out and keep walking up Andrassy ut about 300m to the House of Terror Museum (Nazi, Hungarian Fascist history museum in old KGB office building --- very well done).

Mabye 5:30 now.

Cross the street and back on the M1 metro. This time get off at Hősök Tere and you will be at the Hero’s Square.

Walk back down Andrassy ut to see the wonderful architecture. If you get tired you can hop on and off the M1 along the way.

At the end of Andrassy ut (Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Út stop), use your Google Maps for the interesting 3 block walk to https://www.rezkakasbistro.hu/ where you were thoughtful enough to make 7:30 pm dinner reservations.

After dinner follow your google maps for about a 6 block walk to Vorosmarty ter and then your hotel. Then sit in the Café on the river with the spectacular lights of Buda looking down on you and wish you had a second night. (cause you saw about 1/3 of the “must see” sights.

Posted by
124 posts

James E. Thank you for that write-up. I just convinced my husband to do a quick trip to Budapest in May when we are in Italy. I will have more than just one day but probablly no more than two so your suggestions are perfect.