Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Next month we will be spending 5 full Days in Budapest as part of our Central/Eastern Europe trip. I have searched these boards and have read several great posts by James and have read a few guide books, but I am still having trouble creating our outline for our itinerary. I was wondering if anyone had a 4 or 5 day plan that we could use as a starting point.

Also if anyone has a must see I would also love the recommendation. Thank you!

Posted by
1580 posts

Here you go Ben:

Day 1 to Day 5 : Budapest

Day 1 - Buda Castle Hill, St. Stephens Basilica, Central Market Hall

Day 2 - Hungarian National Museum, Fisherman’s Bastion, City Park, Danube Promenade walk

Day 3 - Margaret Island, Heroes Square, Memento Park, Liberty Park,

Day 4 - Széchenyi Thermal Baths, Hungarian Opera House, Matthias Church, Danube River Cruise

Day 5 - fly Home

Posted by
17871 posts

where are you staying? Its always easier to build an itinerary with a natural rythm when starting from some point. AND as some things are closed on some days and times of day that things are open can vary, a date helps.....

Posted by
27063 posts

The Fisherman's Bastion is on Castle Hill and should be seen at the same time if you're interested in it. The same for Matthias Church (which I recommend).

Heroes' Square, City Park and the Szechenyi Baths are close together and should be seen on the same day. The Opera House is on the way to the first three--if you have time to see it on the same day.

I think St. Stephens and Liberty Square are relatively close together.

The Central Market is down near the Danube.

There are many, many interesting places to visit in Budapest. For the best experience you need to build your own list and group sights by location. You'll also need to check on days each place is open. Rick's book is very useful for that, but there were several
major museums closed (for renovation, relocation, etc.) as of May 2018, and I highly mrecommend visiting the official websites so you don't waste time. But you should start with what you, personally, want to see. You may end up having to trim your list because of limited available time.

My list included the House of Terror and the Liszt Ferenc Academy. Many other visitors want to take the English tour at the Parliament; book early for that one.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you everyone.....we are arriving from Bratislava on July 11th and will be leaving on July 17th and are staying at the K+K Hotel Opera.

Posted by
17871 posts

Excellent. Good hotel too.

Thursday the 11th. You probably have a half day so make it easy but lets show you a good taste. Go to the Opera House metro stop on the M1. Buy a 7 day pass from the vending machine and get on the metro. Then walk to the lower end of Andrassy ut, turn left at the loop road and you will see a yellow tram in the distance. Go to it and get on it and stay on it 3 stops to the Market Hall. The Hall closes at 6pm on Thursday but you want to be there by no later than 4pm. Do the market.
Now infront of the market towards the bridge you will see stairs that go down under the bridge. They lead to the 2 Tram. Get on it and ride it from left to right. Sit on the river side. Best tram ride in Europe. Get off at the second stop and eat at one of the outside restaurants. Enjoy the view across the Danube.

Then back on the tram to the Parliament. This is really just an overview of the city to get you orientated. Get off when the tram turns behind the Parliament and walk back towards the river to find the steps to the Shoes on the Danube.

Back on the tram to its end stop then a short walk, very short, to the 4/6 Tram. Ride it two stops to the Oktogon. This is Andrassy ut where your hotel is. Walk down Andrassy ut. I am guessing close to dinner time. I will send you a list of places most close to your hotel. And of course top off the night with wine at Kadarka where i currently sit.

Friday 12 A walk down Andrassy then turn right to the Basilica. See it, do it. Then walk down the long square to the river and look for the 2 tram you rode yesterday. Get on it in the opposite direction you rode it the day before. Get off at the chain bridge, Walk across the bridge and take the Funicular up to Buda. Use a guide book for Buda. Depending on your interests you can spend a few hours or half a day. Lunch? All sorts of places along the way. Depends on your speed.

Then walk down, walk across the bridge and to Vorosmarty ter. Sorry its all torn up, but find the entrance to the M1 metro marked Mexico and get on to the Opera stop. You are home. Now dinner and Kadarka (hey, they are friends).

Saturday 13. Eat breakfast at the Lions Locker. Talk to the family that runs the place. Then go to the end of Andrassy ut, look to your left for a tram. Thats the 47/49. Hop on and take it across the river and get off. You are at the Gellert Hotel and Bath House. Now look for the 19/41 Tram. Take it to Batthyány tér where (3 stops I think). Here you will find the H5 commutter train. Go down, find the ticket window and show them your travel card for a discount on a ticket to szentendre. Hop on the train and take it to the end. Follow the signs to the center of szentendre. Shop till you drop and eat a lot. Then take the 4:30 boat back to Budapest. You will be home by 5:30. The boat ride is worth the time. Sit on the upper deck for the view of the Parliamnent when you enter budapest.

Posted by
17871 posts

Sunday the 14th. Andrassy ut day. You will first go to the House of Terror. Figure no less than 2 hours. Then continue walking up Andrassy ut (30 minutes) seeing the architecture, embassies. At the end, beyond Heros Square is the city park and the Bath House. Do the baths!! Do Paprikas for lunch first. Walk or ride the M1 back to the Oktogon and then get on the 4/6 tram to the stop just before the river. Get off, look for a statute of Peter Faulk and walk up Falk Miska utca and visit the antique shops. You know how to get home now.

Monday the 15th. This is Jewish Budapest Day. Walk across Andrassy ut, and turn right on Kiraly ut. Then down Kiraly ut to the Gozsdu Udvar. Walk through the udvar, spend money, etc. About halfway through the udvar you will find a pedestrian road to the right. That will take you to Rumbach utca. See the synagogue and then walk to Dobb utca and you will find the "Great" Dohany Synagogue. Take the tour. Then using your map and guide book poke around the Jewish District a bit.

Out in front of the Great Synagogue you will see the yellow 47/49 tram again. follow it either way to a stop and get on it heading back towards the market. Across the street from the market is Vaci utca. Sure its a tourist street, but you have to wlak it to Vorosmarty ter where you can get back on the M1 to the Opera stop.

more to come.

Posted by
4593 posts

The K&K Hotel Opera is wonderful, great location for sightseeing, extensive breakfast and tip top staff who will go out of their way to help you book activities or taxis.

The hotel has 2 towers. One is centrally located with an elevator in the lobby. The other is a hike through the lobby, bar, past the restaurant to get to the elevator. Depending on whether you want solitude or convenience you might request your room appropriately.

I don't mind walking miles around the city, but after 2 hikes to my room I requested a change to the central tower.

Posted by
10 posts

James and everyone else thank you for your great replies. James your details will be very helpful, my wife loved the directions! As far as planning our last day, we are both "foodies" and we talked about the idea of a food tour, but did not know if they were worth it or not.

Thank you again for the time to answer us with such great detail.
Jon

Posted by
17871 posts

There is a travel company called Taste of Hungary that has some interesting days. A day trip to Szentendre is always worth the time; train up, boat back. And there are a few cooking schools in town. My favorite takes you shopping in the market, then you go to her home and cook with her. Takes most of the day.

Posted by
107 posts

I'm enjoying this thread and especially the detailed itinerary given by James. We are traveling in mid-September and will also be staying at the K+K Opera, and will have either 4 or 5 days (considering a day trip to Szentendre sometime in there).

Is there any way to do all of these things as James suggested and avoid the metro? I heard the escalators are fast, steep and scary and I'm afraid of down escalators and already try to avoid them. I'd be happy to do everything via bus or tram, even if it takes a bit longer. Thanks!

Posted by
4593 posts

Hi Irene,

I took a bus up and down to Buda castle - details in RS book. Probably not as fun as the funicular.... but I missed it somehow. Once back down at the river, I hopped on a tram (whichever one was close and looked like it would go across one of the bridges) to get across the river and then took Tram 2 along the river a few stops, then walked to K&K from the river. Definitely more walking, but I enjoy that.

I didn't have a tram map but near the river it was easy to just watch the trams and see which one was going where I wanted.

Definitely ride Tram 2 a few times for fun. Fabulous along the river at night!

Posted by
10 posts

We are back home and the entire trip blew us away, so glad that we had 5 full days in Budapest and could have spent so much more time there. Thank everyone for their suggestions and especially to you James, everything we did was so special!

Warmest Regards,
Jon