Please sign in to post.

Itinerary assistance

Hi fellow travelers,

My boyfriend and I are going to Eastern Europe for 2 weeks (13 nights total) the end of April. We plan on flying into Budapest, going to Vienna, and fly home from Prague, traveling via train in between. My questions are:
-How long should we plan for each city?
-Are there other cities we should overnight or day trip in - Pecs, Eger, Bratislava, Cesky Krumlov?
-Any suggestions on best place to buy the train tickets?

Thanks very much!
Terri

Posted by
2602 posts

Having been to all 3, I'd say 5 in Budapest, 3 in Vienna and 5 in Prague. A lot depends on what you plan on doing and seeing while in each, so start researching that. I wouldn't short the days in Budapest, but you might change up the other 2. I'll be in Budapest at the end of April as well, my 3rd trip in as many years since it's become my favorite city and I can't seem to go to Europe without stopping there. I'm tentatively planning a long day trip to Pecs, but it'll be a busy weekend in Budapest so may just stay in town.

www.mavcsoport.hu is the Hungarian railway website, I've used it to check schedules but always bought my ticket in person.

Posted by
17854 posts

I would go in the opposite direction because Budapest is the lowest energy place and its good for winding down. Just my preference....

Nights
1 Arrive in Prague about 1 pm jet lagged
2 See Prague
3 See Prague
4 Morning: Prague to Cesky Krumlov on Bean or CK Shuttle
5 Afternoon: Cesky Krumlov to Vienna on Bean or CK Shuttle
6 Vienna
7 Vienna
8 Morning: Vienna to Gyor by train - taxi to Archabbey at Pannonhalma
9 Morning; tour Gyor. Afternoon: Gyor to Budapest by train
10 Budapest
11 Budapest
12 Budapest & Szentendre
13 Budapest
14 Flight home

I would by the tickets from the originating train company. On line will save you some money but affords no flexibility.

Posted by
513 posts

I would divide up your 13 days this way: 4 nights in Prague, 4 nights in Vienna, and 5 nights in Budapest. Of these three, I consider Budapest easily number one, but Vienna and Prague are right up there with it - perhaps 2a and 2b. All three have delightful art galleries, diverse museums, and beautiful churches to occupy your time.

Posted by
40 posts

I basically agree with James. I did this exact trip 2 years ago and loved it!

Day 1 Arrive in Prague....take it easy. Stroll Wenceslas Square to the Bridge/River
Day 2 Prague...Focus on the Castle/Church and Lesser Town
Day 3 Prague...Focus on the Main part of town/Jewish Area
Day 4 Bus to Cesky Krumlov....stroll the castle grounds to get a lay of the gardens

Day 5 Full Day in Cesky Krumlov (I only spent 1 night, and was sorry. Take a tour of the castle baroque theatre. Take a raft down the river!)
Day 6 Bus to Vienna...get a lay of the land doing the ringstrasse/walk around downtown
Day 7 Vienna....take a tour of the opera house/enjoy the sights
Day 8 Vienna....take a train to Melk and bike the valley....evening back in the city
Day 9 Day trip to Bratislava (take the hydrofoil boat there, and the bus back)/evening in back in Vienna
Day 10 Budapest....my favorite city: take a dinner cruise as a hello to the city (I prefer the music on Silverline/also liked Legenda)
Day 11 Budapest....a day for the Pest side....enjoy one of the baths in the afternoon
Day 12 Budapest....a day for the Buda side!....Don't forget Gellert Hill/cave church/Buda Castle/Matthias Church/Fisherman's Bastion
Day 13 Budapest....mix it up. Take a tour of Parliament. Treat yourself to my FAVORITE restaurant ever: Zeller Bistro! (Don't miss the foie gras appetizer or the duck entrée!!)
Day 14 Budapest....make sure you stop by the Central Market Hall for great cheap food and souvenirs.

I am in love with Budapest now, and am planning my 3rd trip in September with my Mom and Aunt (who have never been to Europe). I insisted they try Budapest, and you'll soon know why!