Please sign in to post.

How much cash?

Hello, we’re off to Budapest for ten days starting May 20. How much cash (euros and forints) should we bring? Are ATMs readily available? Is VISA generally accepted in retail stores?

Thanks!

Posted by
15257 posts

I was in Budapest a couple of years ago. I got some Forints at the airport. I was there for five days. I still have most of the Forints. (I used some for my taxi ride to the train station when leaving but I could have used a card.)

I paid for everything with either Google Pay or a contactless credit card. And that includes items under the equivalent of $2 in small grocery stores.

ATM are readily available.

They don't use Euros in Hungary.

Posted by
18159 posts

I live here but still function off a US bank ATM card and US bank Credit Card. Works fine.

I would, and generally do, carry about 15.000 in forints. Thats about $40. Its not essential. 99% of the places you go will take your credit or debit card. But this is a tipping culture (never more than 10% if there is no service charge on the bill and they wont think bad of you for not tipping); and they are not always able to put the tip on the card.

If you take 15.000 out of an ATM (and they are all over town ... but try and use a bank machine if you can, not the end of the world if you cant) then you will get a 10 and a 5, so use the 10 to buy somehting small and hold on to the change. Use google maps to find the ATMs. The ones that are not banks will generally say EURONET on them. https://www.google.com/maps/search/atm/@47.5010552,19.0543337,16z/data=!3m1!4b1?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Most of the bank ATM's are inside a small lobby. I sat and watched a several tourist try and use them one day. They walk up and pull on the door and it appears locked. Then they see a place to swipe a card to open the door. Any card with a magnitic strip will work. Then they pull again. Still locked so they walk away. Finally I got up swiped my card and PUSHED the door for one guy. Doors generally open in.

No reason to go home with the Forints. Spend them. Tips, drinks, something for the maid service. Donation box at the airport.

Some guides, personal service providers and AirBnb want to be paid in Euro or Dollars. Taxis will generally take Euros (but will take credit cards too). Some tourist shops have prices in Euros and Forints, but the Forint price will be cheaper. But if you show up with some Euros and you just want to get rid of them, sure, use them where they take them.

Posted by
4189 posts

My last 5 day trip in March, I spent just under 2,000 ft in cash. The trip before that in October was 2 weeks and I spent @ 13,000 ft in cash.

Posted by
18159 posts

But TTM I have no problem spending the cash.

Also, for a woman, might be nice to have a little cash in your pocket in the event you leave your purse hooked under a bar top and walk away.

Posted by
4189 posts

But Mr. É, you are not our average run-of-the-mill tourist, either…..

I can’t believe anyone would go off and leave their purse.

Posted by
14580 posts

If I use Euro in Budapest, since they will be accepted in those particular establishments, I am not interested in the change left over. "They" are doing me a favour by accepting them and can keep the change....not important.