Please sign in to post.

How is this location?

I would love some feedback on the location of the Airbnb I am seriously considering for our trip to Budapest next March. As best as I can tell, it appears to be very close to the intersection of Terez krt. and Podmanicsky u. and very close to West End (I hope that makes sense and that I'm reading the map correctly!). I'm not sure if this is district V or VI. It's our first visit and we only have 3 full days, not including our arrival day, so I would like to be as central as possible.

Posted by
8124 posts

Do yourself a favor and just contact Andy at budapestapartmentservice.com. He manages a number of apartments in the center city in fantastic locations.
We stayed in Paty's Place, a 1 bedroom ground floor apartment in the center of everything--including the Opera. And we've sent friends there to stay.
We will be back in Budapest in April--our third trip in recent years. For a large European city, it's such a reasonably priced city.
There's a booth inside the concourse at the airport that sells shuttle bus tickets. They'll give instructions to the bus locations which can get you to your accommodations and come and pick you up on return to the airport.

Posted by
17854 posts

Okay, it's a bit removed from everything. You will have to do a lot of walking. The 4/6 tram runs past it, but the nearest stop is at Nyugati station. From there you will need to take the metro to Deak Fernec ter to reach the center of most sight seeing. The metro station at Nyugati is the only spooky one in Budapest. Safe, just, well, if you need women's undergarments or "toys" you will be in the right place.

Find a place called Deak Fernec ter and try and get close to that, but outside the loop road that runs through it. Equally as good is anything within a block or two of Andrassy ut from its lower end to an intersection called Oktogon.

The absolute worst case scenario is you have a great time no matter where you stay.

Posted by
16 posts

David, we are a party of 5 (myself, husband, and 3 kids aged 19, 17, and 13), so a one bedroom just won't do it for us. I will take a look to see if there are any bigger apartments available. I am looking for at least 3 bedrooms.

James E., We love this apartment, but I guess I'll take another look for a better location. I don't mind walking, but that particular metro sounds like something I don't need to experience with my 13 year old in tow!

Posted by
17854 posts

Because the tram doesnt stop near, it's a bit of trouble. Try looking up Andrassy all the way to Heros Square. That will put you on the M1 metro which is quick, historic, and almost fun. One shot straight to Deak Fernec ter and then the river (very near).

Also you might look on the Pest side down river a bit, but close to the river so you can take the 2 tram up to where things are.

Posted by
17854 posts

Also, I know they guy David speaks of. He manages a number of apts, one might fit your needs, dont know. I know he has two, side by side, but i think they are 1 but, so someone might have to be on the sofa.

Posted by
16 posts

James E, thank you for your location advice. I've found another apartment very close to the Bajcsy-Zsilinszky station. It looks like it's off Paulay Ede. What are your thoughts on that area? At least on the map it looks close to Andrassy ut. and Deak Ferenc Ter.

Posted by
16 posts

Great news. Fingers crossed my family gives it the thumbs up. I'll keep your worst case scenario in mind. I'm sure we will have an amazing time no matter where we stay.

Posted by
2169 posts

We were just in Budapest in May and stayed very near your new location suggestion. I agree with the others that this one would be much preferred over the Terez/Podmanicsky location. Happy planning!

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you James E and Janet! We narrowed our choices down to 3 apartments. The one that gets the thumbs up for location and 2 that appear to be very close to the Great Synagogue. I’d appreciate any thoughts on that area as well. One of the apartments in that area would give us 4 full bedrooms and baths, but if the location isn’t as great, it’s really not necessary.

Posted by
17854 posts

If the apt is near the Astoria stop of the 47/49 Tram it could be very good. Too far north or west of the Synagogue could result in a bit of extra walking, but depends on the distance That puts you in what was the WWII deportation ghetto and the history is amazing. Lots to do too. If you send me a name or address I might be of more help.

A lot of the recommendations make reference to trams and metros. If you are like I was 20 years ago, that can be intimidating. Dont be. The trams are the best tour busses in town. They are simple, but windows and thecriutes are easily understood. The only metro you will have to use is the M1, which is the oldest in the continent of Europe. It's small and sort of fun once you accept the idea. Also easy to visualize the route as it runs under Andrassy ut for it's full length and terminates about 200 feet from the river.

Posted by
16 posts

James, you've been so helpful. The two apartments that look to be near the synagogue are Katie's Homes and Luxury Apt. 4 bedrooms +4 bathrooms on Airbnb. It's hard (for me at least) to tell exactly where they are because the map location is given as a general area. The other apartment is listed as Penthouse in Center Huge Balcony. Am I allowed to just post links? If so, I'll do that.

Posted by
16 posts

Great, here they are. Thanks for taking the time to help us with this!

Apartment that looks close to Andrassy ut and Deak Ferenc Ter:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8057544?s=67&shared_item_type=1&virality_entry_point=1&sharer_id=143415002

Two apartments that look very near to the Great Synagogue:

3 BR:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3326865?s=67&shared_item_type=1&virality_entry_point=1&sharer_id=143415002

4 BR:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/512687?s=67&shared_item_type=1&virality_entry_point=1&sharer_id=143415002

Posted by
17854 posts

Okay, the first one. The description talks about a park with basketball and soccer across the street. There is no way to know everything, but the only park I know of that is large enough to fit that description that is within the circle on the map is at Erzsebet ter. There are two banks across the ring road. If I am correct, not bad at all. But I hate that they dont give you a better idea. Write and ask. Crazy not to. But the balcony apparently faces west and if I am right, cant imagine him not mentioning the view of the Basilica. WAIT, I just looked at his photos. Should have done that first
I nailed it. Not the sweetest part of the interior loop road, but very well located.

Posted by
17854 posts

The second one, I looked at the photos first. This one is on the same loop road, next door to the synagogue. Not quite as good a location as the first, but still very, very good. My preference is a location where I can wander the street in the evening, sit at cafes, etc and this one is a tad away from that. but if you liked it best I could give you simple directions.

Posted by
17854 posts

Number 3 is a lot harder. I suspect it's on Racozsi ut which is "okay". Not a deal breaker. All in all you cant do wrong with any of them. My preference on location alone is first 1 the 2 then 3.

When you get one selected, let me know and I will give you some neighborhood tips: I know all 3 pretty well.

You did excellent research and chose well.

Posted by
16 posts

James E, I followed your advice, which I appreciate! I was able to get the address of the one you indicated would be your first choice — Bajcsy Zsilinszky 5.

I found one other wer’re considering in a different neighborhood very close to Szabadsag Square. The address is Honved 8 utca. It looks to be close to restaurants, etc, but also appears to be farther from public transit. Any thoughts on this location would be helpful.

Posted by
17854 posts

That one is behind the Parliament. It's a pretty area, very clean with fantastic architecture. There are a few restaurants in the area, but mostly it's a ghost town after sunset. But it's fairly close to the M2 Metro and the 2 Tram (google the Budspest No. 2 Tram) both of which will get you back to the center of things. North of the location a short walk if Falk Miska utca which is the famous antique street.

I tend to beat the subject too hard. The honest truth is there are a few locations that dont make any sense, and a lot of locations the will appeal to different people for different reasons.

All four of the ones you picked are very good.

I am partial to the first one you listed because of the view and because I can stroll Andrassy ut after sunset. The river is less than a 10 min walk away through some pretty streets, great for another evening.

If you were to map all of the first visit sites, then look for the most central point, that point is Deak Ferenc ter and the first three apts are relatively close and number 4 is a 3 min metro ride away.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks again, James, for the very informative reply. I also tend to beat things too hard. I over research and over think everything! But, it’s fun and we are really looking forward to this trip. I think I now have enough info to guide my family to make a decision. Many, many thanks for being so helpful.

Posted by
3961 posts

I am a little late to the party, but I do have an additional apartment recommendation. Another RS Forum contributor (Joanne) rented an apartment 2 minutes from the Opera House (family of 5), She highly recommended it here and on her blog. www.sunsetsandrollercoasters.com. Entre Amis Apartments, Budapest.

I would also agree with David & James recommendations. We too stayed at Paty's Place. We were there 5 nights. Lovely one bedroom apt. We felt the location was perfect. Andy the manager is an excellent resource as well.

Posted by
187 posts

As a mom of three teens, I recommend the first link you shared (the middle of the thread). One AirBnB reviewer says it is a block from St. Stephen's making it a great location. And you can always rely on James's comments- they are (always) spot on. You're close to all that you will want to see and do in three days and very close to public transport. In fact, this location is so cool I'm sending the link to the kids now!

Your kids will be safe on their own if they want to do a bit of shopping while you relax at a café.

You will all love it!