Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Budapest

Hi all, What's your favorite hotel in Budapest and why? We need to book and was wondering where people had stayed and what you thought about the hotel and the neighborhoods?

Pam

Posted by
17649 posts

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Budapest in about 7 years now so my recommendations are goin to be dated; although the one we used most often, the K&K Opera continues to get good reviews. Budapest is more like Paris than say, Prague. Its a large city and most of it is what you go to see. So finding a place that is central to walking and transportation is a good idea. Almost dead center of everything most tourist see on their first trip is a metro station and square called Deak Ferenc ter. West of Deak Fernec ter is District V which has the beautiful Danube embankment; and is the most densely touristed zone in town. North and east of Deak Ferenc ter is the wonderful Jewish District, the Andrassy ut corridor, the performing arts district an a lot of "real" Budapest where you can still find exceptional things to see and do and, as a tourist, be in the minority. We stay across the street from the Opera House and having seen a pretty sizable chunk of Budapest over the last doze years or so, wouldn't change the location.

This link outlines the area I think serves a first time tourist the best. I don't even show Buda. Its great but every trip back to your accommodations will cost you 30 to 45 minutes of sightseeing. https://goo.gl/maps/VDrXVjiVeCN2

Posted by
1878 posts

My wife and I have stayed at Kalvin House near the Liberty Bridge and the indoor market twice, in 2011 and again in 2014. Very nice staff, they honored our request to stay in the very same room the second time (#207, the same one featured in their booking.com cover photo). The room had the same plant both times!. Very nice ambience, and a hotel that embodies the faded grandeur of Budapest (creaky parquet floors, vintage wood furniture). 8.6 on booking.com, 4.0 on Trip Advisor. Great location near the indoor market and Liberty Bridge, across from the Gellert Hotel/Baths. Really, this is the place to stay. I could spend hours walking and riding the tram in Budapest. Did I mention that I just love Budapest?

Posted by
1163 posts

We loved Brody House last year. This eclectic hotel is in one of the few remaining palaces built in 1896 in Budapest.

It was perfect for walking all over Budapest, including the Jewish Quarter and the incredibly odd and interesting Ruin Bars, Szimpla and Mika Tivador ! Eat walnut cake at The Cake Shop, goulash stew at Spinoza, and the rose shaped gelato at Gelarto Rose.

Posted by
2599 posts

I discovered an area that suits me just right on my first trip to Budapest in 2014, and I'll be there for the third time this Friday--at the foot of Liberty bridge off Fovam ter. I like to be near the fray but not entrenched in it--in Amsterdam that meant the museum quarter not the canal, etc. I'm staying for the second time at the Residence Baron on So utca, just off the end of Vaci utca and it's a pedestrian area so quiet at night, near the grand market, perfect for strolling peacefully, 2 minutes to tram and metro.

Posted by
3387 posts

We stayed at La Prima Fashion Hotel - the most ridiculous name EVER for a hotel but it was really nice! It's right near the river, an easy walk to everything, and the rooms are exceptionally large by European standards. Great breakfast buffet and a price that was very reasonable.

Posted by
5678 posts

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. We'll dig in and try to find something. :)

Pam