Please sign in to post.

Hiring a driver on mydaytrip.com

Hi. My husband and I are considering hiring a driver for our trips from Venice to Budapest and Budapest to Prague. The trip from Venice to Budapest by train doesn't seem available. I've looked at: mydaytrip.com and the price and length of trip seems good to us. Has anyone had experience with this company or can you recommend another company that you have used? We don't want to fly.
Thanks in advance.

Posted by
32756 posts

this question is a duplicate - I answered on your other copy.

Posted by
17919 posts

The train from Venice takes over 14 hours, near as i can tell. Thats a shame because depending on the day of the week there are discount flights that might take 2 hours and cost $100.

From Budapest to Prague I would suggest http://www.silverwings.hu . I have known Laszlo for a number of years. He provides an exceptional service at decent prices and is very professional. We still hire him on occasions for special trips.

Posted by
32756 posts

The 9:55 from Venezia Santa Lucia with a connection in Vienna (Wien) - Railjet to Railjet - arriving Budapest 19 minutes after 8 pm takes 10 hours 24 minutes.

Still long but not as bad as 14.

Posted by
15809 posts

I'm curious why you don't want to fly? Venice to Budapest is a LONG trip by ground transport, and even if you're OK with the cost - which is probably substantial - it will chew up a LOT of time.

Posted by
96 posts

The cost would be about the same and maybe more than hiring the driver, if what I'm seeing quoted by the company that I posted, is the norm. We've never been through the area between Venice and Budapest and are looking forward to the scenery, and would like to stop to see a castle in Slovenia, which is one of our options. Also we'd prefer not having to deal with arriving to the airport 2 hours early plus our travel time to the airport. Apparently the driver picks you up where you ask and drops you off at your destination.

Posted by
17919 posts

Okay, well its an 8 hour drive from Venice to Budapest. That aside. I have also used these guys before: https://transferbudapesthungary.com/ Not as good as my first recommendation, but they were adequate on a 4 hour trip a few years back. If its an Italian company or a Hungarian company it will mean a round trip for the driver. Since Hungary is substantially cheaper than Italy, the Hungarian companies might be cheaper too.

Posted by
17919 posts

And TSF to BUD is about $60 on Ryan air: maybe $100 with all the nonsense charges. Flight takes 1.5 hours + 1.5 hr early arrival + 45 min travel to + 1 hr deplaning and travel into Budapest = 4.75 hours.