Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe trip

I am planning a trip to Budapest, Viana and Prague this late summer. I tried to find out where to stay in hotels or AirB&B since there will be 3 of us. Should I stay in Buda or Pest? Any suggestions.. thanks

Posted by
204 posts

As long as you are close to a metro stop or tram line, you can stay on either side. Stay on the Pest side of the river if you want to be able to walk to the most bars, restaurants, and shopping.

Posted by
17920 posts

Stay in the Pest side if you want to be close to 90% of what most come to see and do. That 90% is about 10 min by foot or tram from Deak Ferenc ter. Stay in Pest if you want to spend 30 min each way on a bus to Pest and back several times a day.

There are a couple of threads about hotels and AirBnbs in the Hungry forum active this week.

Tell me your arrival date and how many nights and the sort of things you are interested in and I can make suggestions.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I plan to arrive at Budapest on 8/28 and leaving to Vienna on 9/1. I like to visit all the major tourist attractions and try the thermal bath.

Posted by
17920 posts

With 3 of you, maybe a 2 bedroom AirBnb will work best.

I would say that the closer to Andrassy ut the better. And between an intersection called "The Oktogon" and the lower terminus of Andrassy ut.

That will be defined as District VI and zip codes will be "106_" with the last digit varying.

I am doing this on a couple of threads right now, so look at their results and the comments. Feel free to post anything new you find and if i can tell you something about it, I will.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you Mr. E for your suggestions. For some reason i cannot get into budapestapartmentservice.com

Posted by
13 posts

I also plan to go to Vienna and Prague after Budapest. Any suggestions where to stay. Is it worth to go to Salzburg to join Sound of Music tour while i am in Vienna? Thank you

Posted by
204 posts

try the thermal bath

Now comes your toughtest decision in Budapest...which thermal bath?

Posted by
204 posts

I also plan to go to Vienna and Prague after Budapest. Any suggestions
where to stay. Is it worth to go to Salzburg to join Sound of Music
tour while i am in Vienna? Thank you

This is kinda like Buda vs Pest. Most of the major attractions are within or close to the ring road and tram lines that were once the city walls. You will be within walking distance to many tourist sites, restaurants, shopping, etc. if you stay within the ring. Of course, you will pay more. Outside the ring it is a matter of getting close to a tram line or U-Bahn stop that runs into the ring. I have no specific apartment suggestions as I have stayed at hostels on my Vienna visits.

Posted by
17920 posts

There are more cost conscience hotel and AirBnb options in Pest than Buda and, generally speaking, I think its easier to get out of the tourism and into the local atmosphere in Pest and being able to do that is a real positive aspect of visiting Budapest.

In Vienna and Prague .... well .... i get bored out of the tourist zones. So I would stay close to Old Town in Prague and the Kärntner Straße in Vienna. But I've only stayed in hotels in both, so cant help beyond that.

Posted by
17920 posts

jinnietrinh; go, enjoy and have a blast.

You didnt ask many other questions. So I will throw out some freebies.

Guide Book: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Budapest (Pocket Travel Guide) available on Amazon.com
Transportation: Buy a TravelCard (NOT a BudapestCard)
Minimum Time: Budapest (4 nights), Prague (3 nights), Vienna (3 nights) add a night to the arrival city..
Look at Landing in Prague, flying to Budapest and Train to Vienna as well as taking the train all the way. The version with the flight saves a little travel time.