Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe in October?

Would like to take a coach trip to Eastern Europe in October; would you recommend going this late?
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
27062 posts

October is shoulder season, and the weather could be very different at the end of the month vs. the beginning.

Last year I was in Romania in mid-September, Bulgaria in late September, Montenegro about the first seven days of October and Zagreb the following week. Romania was hot and sunny. By the time I got to Bulgaria, it was cooling off (more pleasant) and there was occasional rain. Montenegro also had some rain (I remember one downpour that lasted perhaps an hour). Zagreb was rainier--not every day, but one day was a pretty serious wash-out. The other thing I noticed (having been in Europe the entire summer) was that there was much less daylight in October than earlier in the year. That doesn't bother a lot of people, but I seem to get my energy from daylight.

Some of the changes I experienced as I traveled through the Balkans were probably due to where I was, not just the timing. And weather changes a lot year-to-year. I haven't checked the historical weather data (you can find it on the Wunderground website), but I think you can pretty much count on no cold in the Balkans (excepting possibly mountainous areas) early in October but are likely to run into some rain.

If by "Eastern Europe" you're thinking more of Poland, Slovakia, Czechia, etc., I think there's a greater risk of cool, wet weather.

Posted by
495 posts

Hi DC; yes I was thinking of Warsaw, Poland; Budapest, Hungary; Vienna, Austria, Prague, Czech Republic etc. Don't mind that there's less daylight as these cities are really nice at night and you don't have to stay up late to see it!

Guess I should plan on mid to late September into early October?

Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
17864 posts

Most years you can find us in Hungary and one other Eastern/Central European country between the third week of September and the third week in October. In my mind its the absolute best time to visit the region, This year we went early to attend an event (just returned). On that note, consider Kyiv. Its under $100 from Budapest on Wizzair,

Posted by
17864 posts

acraven, made a veiled reference to an idea that you really aren't going to Eastern Europe. But being a baby boomer I sort of agree with the United Nations that all except Austria are in Eastern Europe; if for no other reason it just sounds cool to say Eastern Europe.

Warsaw, Poland; Never been there. But its on my list.

Budapest, Hungary; My second home.

Vienna, Austria, a little too stiff for my taste and way too much dead stuff under glass.

Prague, Czech Republic; another veiled comment by acraven refers to the "new" English language name the Czech Republic is pushing; "Czechia". But no one is going to fault you for calling it the Czech Republic. From what I have read the new name isn't even very well accepted in Czechia. Good for two full days in my book, but way, way too crowded and going in September or early October isn't going to change that impression too very much.

Broaden your thinking and look at Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovakia and Ukraine. All wonderful places....

Posted by
495 posts

Hi James, I would love to visit those countries but this is a coach tour that stops in the cities I mentioned; starting in Frankfurt & going to Berlin and the cities mentioned.
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
17864 posts

Well the tour will give you a taste, then next time, if you like what you saw, you can go exploring off the beaten path. Sounds like fun.

Posted by
495 posts

Yes, I like to get a taste then return; so I guess the end of September for 16 days is a good time...

Posted by
27062 posts

Glad James E. responded since he has spent so much time in the general area you will be visiting. I have been there only once, in 1972. And it was mid-summer.

And I wasn't quibbling about terminology. I'm a Cold War survivor. Anything that was once behind the Iron Curtain is "eastern Europe" to me. I figured the OP might be going to the Balkans.

Posted by
4637 posts

Eastern Europe? Prague was behind Iron Curtain. Vienna was luckier (Soviets left in 1955) and was not. Nevertheless Vienna is east of Prague. What about former Yugoslavia? It was not behind Iron Curtain. So east or west in Europe may mean historical or geographical facts.

Posted by
17864 posts

It's always a fun argument. I have discovered that those that care the least are those that live there. So you won't offend any reasonable individual if you say Hungary is in Eastern Europe. The United Nation's Eastern European Statistical area still includes the Cold War Eastern Europe. Those in the region in the travel business love the old definition as it attracts old facts like me. Yugoslavia wasn't in the Warsaw Pact, but during the Cold War was generally lumped with the rest of Eastern Europe. Austria is Western Europe despite being east of several Eastern European Countries. Generally speaking it's all good. I just call my friends "reformed commies"

Posted by
15576 posts

Is Ohio east coast or midwest? Is Texas in the South? or the West? or maybe the Southwest? If you ask a Californian, it's "back East."

Posted by
308 posts

I visited Prague, Krakow, Budapest, and Vienna in late October and the weather was a little cool but still nice, the fall colors were amazing, and there were no large crowds. It was the perfect time to visit in my opinion.

Posted by
2708 posts

Last year I was in Poland from late September to October 15. It was delightful with highs between 55 and 70, mostly around 60. However, I have to tell you that one day it snowed in Krackow (towards the end of the trip). We thought it was kind of fun. But I had to buy a wool hat to stay warm.

Posted by
2602 posts

Chani--I lived in OH for a year and this California girl considered it the mid-west, defined more by their sensibilities than actual geography.

Posted by
14499 posts

Ohio is midwest, once you across the Alleghenies, you're in the midwest. I'm of the baby boomer generation, ie the generation that grew up in the Cold War. Hungary, Austria, CR and most of Poland is Central Europe, or at most East-Central Europe. I don't go by the Cold War definition.

@ James....Vienna too stiff, "too much dead stuff under the glass."....historically, all very accurate assessments. That was the reputation of the Habsburgs, more so in the last decades of the Monarchy. One word attached to them as a characteristic and not to any other country in Europe was "Schlamperei"

Posted by
17864 posts

Schlamperei? That surprises me Fred. As for dead things under glass. It's just my preference to observe a living culture vs a dead one. But. I do realize the great value in accurately interpreting the past and learning from it. Something sorely missing in modern society.

Posted by
14499 posts

@ James...The word was certainly not meant as a compliment, since it means slovenliness in the conduct of diplomacy, politics, military matters by the Habsburgs. Read scholarly works by Anglophone professors and historians on modern Austrian/Habsburg history and I am sure that word will pop up.