Please sign in to post.

drinking water

Hello Friends,
I just got back from Switzerland. You can drink water from the tap there. And get drinking water from public fountains. Can you tell me about Budapest. Do you recommend buying bottled water?
Thanks ever so much for your time
All the best

Posted by
2602 posts

I just got back from Budapest yesterday and their tap water is perfectly fine, though I usually buy a bottle of water when out & about.

Posted by
27092 posts

I traveled through Hungary for 3 weeks last year, drinking water out of hotel faucets every day. I had no difficulties and have not read of any problems with the water there.

Posted by
1878 posts

Google CDC Hungary for what they say, “standard are similar to the U.S., no special precautions”. Not sure when they upgraded it. Even before they did my local travel health office said it was OK to drink the water.

Posted by
17892 posts

Having done some architectural work in Budapest I can relate that the water systems I observed in the older part of town did not live up to US standards for safety. Things illegal in the US, like potable water lines buried under old leaking sanitary sewer lines. Still, I drink tap water there all the time Haven't gotten sick yet, but prefer the comfort and taste of bottle water.

Posted by
149 posts

Hi James,
Thank you for the inside information. That is really insightful. And I am following your method. Makes total sense. Really appreciate this knowledge that few would be aware of.

Posted by
27092 posts

Oops. James posted that info at least once before and I had forgotten it.

Posted by
27092 posts

The water in Washington.DC tastes quite bad because they have to use so many chemicals to make it safe. I filter my drinking water. I swear the untreated water straight out of the pipes significantly shortens the life span of dishwasher water pumps and toilet flush mechanisms. I do wonder sometimes what is in the city water in highly urbanized areas.

Posted by
17892 posts

Naaaaaa, its few and far between. There isnt enough money for all of the worlds needs, so we keep chipping away where it provides the greatest benefits.

Posted by
19 posts

I also drink the tap water, but also buy lots of sparkling water just because I like the bubbles.... it kinda fools me into thinking im drinking something more exciting than water.
You can get most water by the liter for around 109 forint which is equal to about 37 cents.... I wish our fizzy water were that cheap in the USA!