Please sign in to post.

Camera??

I will be visiting Budapest and Vienna and Prague next week, ..and trying to pack light! Trying to decide if I really need my big SLR camera now that our IPhones take such great pictures!!! Not sure if it's really worth dragging the big camera everywhere!

Posted by
5581 posts

I think that's a personal decision. My husband and I enjoy photography and we always bring our cameras tho we pack light in every other regard. He won't be dragging all his lenses, but he'd stay home before he'd leave his camera at home.

Posted by
4086 posts

I gave up my SLR about 5 years ago and just used a pocket sized camera. I wasn't impressed with the drop in quality, and so I started experimenting with my Samsung Galaxy. I was blown away by the quality, especially night time shots. The only thing I miss about my SLR is the zoom capability that my phone just doesn't have. But I've gotten used to not carrying it and not sure if I want to go back.

Posted by
27092 posts

I'm sort of glad my 4-1/2 year old phone is barely limping along, because there are Android options now (and not just this year's models) with optical zoom lenses. Just 2x, but still helpful. So often the interesting architectural bits are above the ground floor.

Posted by
5581 posts

Maybe because like acraven, my iphone is quite old, but in terms of editing and sharing, transfering pictures to my shutterfly and lightbox is much easier with a camera than my iphone.

Posted by
4573 posts

Zoom is always my criteria on whether to bring something other than a phone. I like fine details and things like ceiling details. I also tend to stand back out of people's way to zoom into something other than get closer and annoy others. I don't have an SLR, but when packing light, even deciding between a 30XP&S or bridge camera and just a phone is a major decision if photos matter.
Think about what you like photos of and determine whether iPhones offer it.

Posted by
3961 posts

I gave up my SLR a number of years ago. Just don't want to "drag it along." I am happy with my iPhone photos. We were touring the Hungarian Parliament today and I noticed two SLR cameras being used in our group of 25-30. The rest of us had our smart phones. It depends if you want more detail?

Posted by
847 posts

I have four cameras. DSLR (left it home). A bridge camera (massive zoom, great features, small sensor), A compact camera (3x zoom but large sensor), and an iPhone 6. Just now going through the thousands of shots I took with the 3 cameras I had on my 5 week trip this summer. Often I shot almost the exact same image with all three cameras. The results: 30% of the time the bridge camera was best (usually zoomed shots), 60% of the time the compact camera with the larger sensor was best, and 10% of the time the iPhone camera was best (especially panoramic shots). If you are just going to view them on a small screen the iPhone does a decent job but if you want to view them on a large monitor/TV or print them the iPhone (at least the iPhone 6S) really is not as good. Not to mention that the lack of a viewfinder makes taking the pictures harder/less enjoyable/ less good.

Posted by
847 posts

And by 'best' I mean things like exposure, sharpness, color correctness, etc. as well as composition.