Please sign in to post.

Budapest Taxis

I'm arriving in Budapest via the Kelelti train station. I will only be in Budapest for 4-5 hrs. In reading "how to get a taxi" it appears that we need to call for one upon arrival. I have 2 questions:

My cell phone is not a smart phone so I don't believe I am able to use to make a call. Now don't laugh, but are there any public phones at the train station I can use to call for a taxi?

Secondly, our first site to see in Buda is Castle Hill. Do I need to order (via a phone call) to get another taxi to get back to train station?

If feel like Budapest is not going to be walk-able with such a short stay. Public transportation makes me nuts and I haven't been able to figure out the any European subway system with confidence.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Posted by
17832 posts

4 or 5 hours isnt worth the effort to go to Buda. The M2 Metro is at the train station. Nothing to figure out. Get on, and stay on to Deak Ferenc ter, then go up to street level and you are in the heart of Budapest. Walk to Vorosmarty ter, Vaci utca and the river embankment. The best thing about Buda is the view of it from Pest. Take the No.2 Tram to the Parliament Building and then walk to St Stephen's basilica. Then back to the M2 for the trip back to the train station. You will see so much that will make you wish you had more time.

Posted by
17832 posts

oh. you will need tickets. go to the front of the station and down the stairs and on the right is a info office. I think you can buy them There
Get 10 to be on the safe side. About $12. Then follow the signs marked M2 to the station platform. You want the Metro 2 train going towards Déli pályaudvar. I think Deak Fernc is the 3rd stop.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for your immediately response James! You're a rock STAR!