Please sign in to post.

Budapest or Krakow?

Hi,
we are going to Poland and Hungary in early April and I can't decide whether to do 4 days in Krakow, 3 days in Budapest OR 3 days in Krakow and 4 days in Budapest. Which city has more to do? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Krakow - market square, schindler's factory, Auschwitz, salt mines, jewish quarter

Budapest - thermal baths, buda castle, rent bikes, danube river cruise, old town

Posted by
5687 posts

Krakow is smaller, but some things on your Krakow list (Auschwitz, salt mines) take more time. Give yourself a day for Auschwitz and half a day for the salt mines. If four days means three nights, you have only two full days there?

Posted by
2602 posts

I've been to both, and while Krakow is in my top 5 favorite cities, Budapest is #1--so 3 in Krakow, 4 in Budapest. You might enjoy bike riding on Margit sziget, the lovely car-free island across from Parliament that is my favorite place to spend a couple of hours at the little zoo, watching the storks tend their nests. The Terror House is a fascinating museum visit, and a tour of Parliament is also very interesting. If you're there over a weekend and like flea markets, the Ecseri piac is wonderful. This website will give you an idea of what events are going on during your stay. https://welovebudapest.com/en/events/

Posted by
8 posts

Andrew, I have already booked a full day - half day in Auschwitz and half day at the salt mines. I will have teenagers with me so I didn't want to spend a full day at Auschwitz. So yes, that is two days besides Auschwitz in Krakow.

Posted by
5687 posts

I did both Auschwitz and the salt mines in one day, too, and kind of wish I hadn't. It was a really long day, TONS of walking and standing, and I was exhausted at the end of the day. The salt mine tour involves a lot of walking too. Try to give yourselves a break in between if you can (or are you on some sort of guided tour that includes both?).

Posted by
17918 posts

I always get confused about "Days"

Day one Arrive at noon
Day two See something
Day three Depart

or ??? Krakow to Budapest is a long trip ............