Please sign in to post.

Budapest 31 March to 8 April 2024

Pulled the trigger on the airline tickets for my solo spring break trip. Now to book hotel and plan the fun.

I'd like to find a clean, comfortable, safe hotel in a central-ish area (don't mind some walking.) I need coffee or tea in the morning - breakfast is good but not a must. Hopefully, under $140 a night. Close to good restaurants, wine bars, etc. I'm not a club person.

Also, I'm going through trip reports (so much great info!) - could use suggestions for this time of year. Good guide? Day trip? Gardens, historical sights, museums, churches, baths? Walking and stairs are not an issue.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Thank you for now...

Marci

Posted by
4078 posts

Marci, I was in Budapest for 2 weeks last October, again mid-March for a week this year, and am finishing up another week right now.

Comparing, there’s not a lot you can do in Oct. that you can’t do in March. It WAS colder in March so bring appropriate clothes and be prepared to switch days around if necessary. But the museums are the same, the trams provide the same amazing views for just the cost of a transit pass, and all the same wonderful restaurants are open. Check Mister É’s links for music and theater, etc. Last year I went to the opera during both visits. Start looking for tickets now, though.

I can’t help with hotel because I always wind up in a far cheaper apartment - which I like when staying that long, but certainly not everyone does. I am a fan of my first cup of coffee sitting in bed. 🤣

It’s a wonderful city for a week! I still have a list of places I haven’t gotten to yet! But here are my trip reports.
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/2-weeks-in-budapest
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/budapest-in-2023

Posted by
17919 posts

I think you are choosing wisely with the length of stay. You wont get bored.

For the hotel, if someone has 2 nights I suggest the river front hotels. A lot of visual splash and well connected to all they will have time to see. With 8 days you have a lot more opportunity to learn the city and for that I think you are better served staying a bit out from the river. The metro system is such that you can still spend every night on the Corso looking at the lights across the river if that is what you want (I enjoy it), but the other options become so much more convenient. As for safety, it would be very, very, very difficult for you to wander into a place that isn't safe. This isn't Paris with pickpockets or DC with areas of high crime.

So, in your budget two to look at are: K+K Opera and the Hotel Moments. I like them because they are on Andrassy ut and the M1 metro line. But there are many others, and I suspect you will get many suggestions. If you want to know about the locations, ask, and I can probably tell you. The only place you might want to avoid is District VII. Perfectly safe but loud and crowded at night. AirBnb's are great too, just make sure they publish their license number on the marketing site. With those the location can be sort of vague, so, again, send me a link to what interests you and most of the time i can track down the exact location.

Best suggestion is to get a metro TravelCard. The Trams are fun to ride and connect most of what there is to see. The M1 Metro connects most of the rest.

I will send you a PM with a little more.

Posted by
17919 posts

Saw your other post. Your budget is easy in Budapest, especially if you stay out of District V and Buda. But do get a TravelCard, not a BudapestCard. And the Trams are better than thee HOHO busses, and go the same places. There is no reason to pay for the busses. Plenty of free (tip) tours, but I can give you a guide if you have a particular interest.

Posted by
192 posts

I know it's not sexy to stay at an international chain, but Hilton just opened a Hampton Inn on Dessewffy utca, one block from Bajcsy-Zsilinsky, a major thoroughfare. It is showing prices well under your budget with breakfast provided for your preferred dates. There is a newly renovated M station nearby and another one within a few blocks. The location is very near the hotels Mr. É recomends.

Posted by
17919 posts

Not bad, and there is a Hilton Garden hotel a few blocks from that, which also looks nice.

And someone needs to rest before tomorrow's flight

Posted by
24 posts

I can’t help with hotel because I always wind up in a far cheaper apartment - which I like when staying that long, but certainly not everyone does. I am a fan of my first cup of coffee sitting in bed. 🤣

TexasTravelmom, that sounds wonderful! Do you mind sharing the apartment/apartments where you stayed?

Thank you,

Marci

Posted by
4078 posts

Sure! I will send you a pm about apartments (it may be a few days), but booking.com and Airbnb both have great selections. And if you go back through the forum, there are also good hotel recommendations, if that feels better - I am staying 2 nights next week at the K+K for under your budget. Christy also will not steer you wrong. I ate at one of her favorite restaurants the other night and loved it.

Posted by
192 posts

The HGI is an even better location (if anything, just for the view of the basilica) but it's out of the price range for the dates provided. ;)
It does, however, have an in-room kettle and coffee packets. ;) I'm guessing the Hampton offers the same.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious, but I'm a Hilton loyalist, so I'm always going to choose their property: I want to earn points for free stays.

Having said that, the other hotels mentioned are all in the same area and excellent options.

Mr. É and TTM will never steer you wrong.

(TTM: P&P?)

Posted by
17 posts

Hi this is Erika those dates are the same dates I want to go to Budapest next year! Female travelling solo. I have never been to Budapest but always wanted to go plus do some side trips so my question was is 7 or 8 days enough? It should be but I am waiting for the 2023 Rick Steves Editon for the Budapest guidebook to come out. I am so glad you posted this question Marci since the replies may help for my trip planning also.

Posted by
17919 posts

7 or 8 days is enough and provides a little time for a side trip to Eger or Pecs or Gyor or Lillafüred.

Something like (not necessarily in this order)

1 Arrive / Andrassy ut, Pest
2 Pest Jewish and District VII
3 Pest River front and District V
4 train to Eger
5 train back to Budapest
6 Buda
7 The Rest of Pest and District VI
8 Szentendre
9 Depart

I am certain the best guide books in the world are RS guide books, but my favorite is https://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Budapest-Travel-Guide/dp/0241568544/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OAUU3103KGZ&keywords=DK+Eyewitness+Budapest&qid=1697298582&s=books&sprefix=dk+eyewitness+budapest%2Cstripbooks%2C187&sr=1-1 Which you use for planning, then leave it in the room and carry this: https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Budapest-Pocket-Travel-Guide/dp/024146286X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25ID6L0VPW7KV&keywords=DK+Eyewitness+Budapest+top+10&qid=1697298653&s=books&sprefix=dk+eyewitness+budapest+top+10%2Cstripbooks%2C162&sr=1-1 because it fits in your pocket.

Posted by
1803 posts

I’ve stayed at the K+K Opera. I enjoyed it and would stay there again. English speaking tours of the Hungarian parliament sell out. Best to book tickets in advance.

Posted by
4617 posts

I just stayed at the K&K Hotel Opera, which felt very safe for a single female. Full European style, hot and cold breakfast buffet.

Walking back to my room after dark, I often took the well-traveled Andrassy ut, then cut over the half block at tourist busy Opera House, sometimes stopping off at Callas Bar for a drink and dessert and some people watching.

If you're coming back on the M1 metro line, it's an easy 1 minute walk to stop off in your room.

Booking tip: I booked my 8 night stay 6 months in advance, then checked the price about a month out and found a better "long stay" deal on a nicer room for less than my original booking.

Posted by
17919 posts

The first hotel I ever stayed in was the K+K in September 2003. I stayed there a half dozen times over the years, then graduated to short term rentals, then ownership.

There sre so many great hotels these days, boutique to large and modern to classic; with everything from roof top party pool bars to unimaginable grace and luxury that I think it's near impossible to make recommendations other than observations on location.

The location of the K+K is hard to beat.

Posted by
24 posts

@melmcclan: I'm pretty jazzed as I found and reserved a nice looking apartment on Jokai ter (square?)

I'm looking over trip reports and have ordered a couple of guides and am ready to plan - it's my jam, lol.

Sightseeing, one or two baths, good food and drink, a tour...

Feel free to PM me if you want to meet. Reading about TTM, CWsocial, MisterE, and others meeting up is proof of how sharing travel enriches the experience.

BTW, with tax, the apt was under $550 for 8 nights, so they are definitely out there.

Cheers,

Marci

Posted by
24 posts

Now that I've returned from PV, it is time to start planning in earnest the Budapest trip.

First thing that jumped out at me is that I may have overlooked something important!

I am supposed to land at Budapest airport at 18:00 on Easter Sunday after leaving Seattle at 18:40 Saturday. Will this be a problem with respect to finding a meal and beverage after a loooonnnnnggggg travel day?

@MrE, am I in trouble or worried for nothing?

Thank you,
Marci

Posted by
4078 posts

Mr. É will likely answer in his morning, but I don’t think you have anything to worry about. If your flight is on time, you should be in your apartment by 7:30ish (or earlier). There are any number of good places within a few blocks that say they stay open on Sundays till 11:30 or midnight. Probably even on Easter Sunday, but I don’t know that for sure. I have eaten at Menza, Tereza, & Két Szerecsen. But there’s even a McDonalds and a TGI Fridays close by.

I probably walked past your apartment in October (looking for a convenience store - that wasn’t there anymore). 🤣

Posted by
24 posts

Easter is a big deal here but there will be things open. Where are you staying?

Jokai ter

I am hoping to have a nice bite and a glass or two when I get settled. It sounds much better than paying for an airline meal or settling for microwave popcorn (I try to always have an emergency bag lol)

Posted by
17919 posts

I am certain I can find a place open for the glass and the bite.

Not sure what will be open but I will check on these for you when it gets a bit closer (remind me). They are all less than 10 minutes from your flat and a nice walk thorough great areas.

This one for the drink but the bite is limited to cheese and ham. But it is just feet from your apartment.
https://www.championwines.store/about/

This one has a bigger menu (secret, the go out and buy it and bring it in). I did the wine tasting contest with RS's Speedy and Guzzi a while back. Fun. Somehow I won. Blind luck.
https://www.bortodoor.com/

This one borders on elegance. Every changing, but tight, menu.
https://n28.hu/en/kezdolap-english/

Nice atmosphere. Light food. You eat what they are cooking that day. Nice atmosphere.
https://www.marlouwinebar.com/

Then of course my favorite. There is no beating it for food, wine or service. How often have you been able to walk into a bar and sample 3, 4 or 5 wines before you purchased ONE GLASS for about USD 6.
http://kadarkawinebar.com/

Posted by
24 posts

Greetings! I've been trying to put together my plan, but it is a struggle - there are just too many awesome things to see/do for seven full days. Then, to throw another little wrench into the works - my husband Dave found out he could join me - yay! He did a little internet surfing and watched Rick Steves in Budapest and he is ready to roll!

3/31, Easter Sunday: arrive, find our apt, drop luggage, eat & drink, come back and crash

4/1, Easter Monday: museums are closed and it is a holiday. Is this a good day to explore Andrassy? We will want to wander around, get our bearings (or have fun getting lost) and pick some food & drink supplies for the apartment. We are light breakfast eaters, but love a good cappuccino, late-ish good sized lunch and light-ish dinner. We are unabashed carnivores and enjoy our wine and beer. Cocktails? Dave more than I.
I remember seeing a post about shopping at markets, but can't find it. Where should we go for meat, cheese, bread, and other essentials?

4/2, Tuesday: Great synagogue, Jewish quarter wandering around. I'm thinking about trying to book a Danube cruise. I think Legenda, would the 20:00 time be good?

4/3, Wednesday: Riverfront, wander around Parliament, eating and drinking. Maybe a ruin pub later.

4/4, Thursday: day trip? Aquincum? Dave loves ruins (because we don't have them here?) Margaret Island?

4/5, Friday: Castle Hill day - exploring, coffee, snacks...

4/6, Saturday: Gellert or City Park day - hopefully nice day for a picnic. But....there is also the wine thing at the Corinthian that sounds good

4/7, Sunday: Suggestions? The wine tour referenced above?

4/8, Monday: Fly back to Seattle via Frankfurt

My wonders:
1) Where do I fit in my opera house tour and the house of terror? Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday?

2) Which bath for couples and where to put that in? I hate cold plunges though!

3) We would like one night of fine dining (maybe 2). The rest of the time we like casual, local fare, and/or bar bites (don't judge me!) Recommendations for a nice dinner?

4) Lastly, my young-at-heart 60 year hubs would love to see a rock band (classic rock style) at a bar/club. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Finally, we would both like to meet the famous Mr. E if you are in town as well as any other RS Forum members that will be around.

Whew! Thank you for reading through all this and I really, really, really appreciate your help to make this come together.

Marci

Posted by
17919 posts

The RS Video is about 15 years old, literally. More current: https://youtu.be/1nd5AtZIrTk?feature=shared

3/31, Easter Sunday: arrive, find our apt, drop luggage, eat & drink,
come back and crash

Figured out where you are staying See my last post for a place to eat. And since you are so close to Andrassy ut if you are up to it walk over there (2 minutes). Really tired turn right and do the high end commercial part where the Opera is located. Particullarly beautiful around the Opera at night. More energy, turn the other way and walk till tired then take the M1 back to the Oktogon and go home.

4/1, Easter Monday: Grocery Market and if a good day for Andrassy ut.

Turn right down Andrassy and you will see a Spar Grocery Store. Across the street is a DM market where you can buy soap and hygene things (not sold in grocery stores here)

Any day is a good day to explore Andrassy ut, but the museums will not be open, but the bath house at the end will be open. But the House of Terror and the Opera are so close you can stop on your way home any day.

4/2, Tuesday: Great synagogue, Jewish quarter wandering around. I'm
thinking about trying to book a Danube cruise. I think Legenda, would
the 20:00 time be good?

Since you are in the Jewish quarter this is a good day to for the Ruin Pubs. From the Ruin Pubs its a facinating walk home for you. Will take you right past Kadarka wine bar too.

Then do the cruise on Wednesday since you will be down near the docks. 8pm is good.

4/3, Wednesday: Riverfront, wander around Parliament, eating and
drinking. Maybe a ruin pub later.

See 4/2 and you might include the Basilica area on this day as well. And that puts you not far from Andrassy ut and the way home. Good day for lunch on the Corso near the Intercontinental or dinner maybe at Hathapuri. Or if you liked that place I sent you on Jokai, I know a smilar one not far from the Basilica area and it will take you through wonderful architecture to reach it. https://maps.app.goo.gl/uzaJ2FH4LQKzaqEM8 If you see a tall Strawberry, thats Anna, say hi for me.

4/4, Thursday: day trip? Aquincum? Dave loves ruins (because we don't
have them here?) Margaret Island?

You could make a day of it. Take the commuter train up to Obuda for the ruins, then continue to Szentendre and take the boat back to Budapest. Aquincum isn’t much by the way. Lots of foundations is about all. But worth the stop on the way to Szentendre. Easy to do this from your apartment. Go to the Oktogon and take the 4/6 tram across the river and find the H5 commuter train under the bridge.

4/5, Friday: Castle Hill day - exploring, coffee, snacks...

Castle Hill is about a half day unless you really get involved in something like the Hospital in the Rock or a tour of the museum or castle. But below the castle is the Várkert Bazár wich can help round out the day. From there you can easily get to the gellert bath if that works for you. Then the 47/48/49 Tram will take you back to near the end of Andrassy ut.

4/6, Saturday: Gellert or City Park day - hopefully nice day for a
picnic. But....there is also the wine thing at the Corinthian that
sounds good

The wine tasting event is one place where you will meet MrE. Yes, he will be there with a very good tour guide for visiting vineyards outside of Budapest. But the park is beautiful too. And the Hungarian House of Music is worth a look. Maybe the boats will be in the lake by then and boating is an option.

4/7, Sunday: Suggestions? The wine tour referenced above?

I think it is an excellent use of a day if you enjoy wine. But be sure to make it the smaller wineries where you can meet mom and dad and go into the cave and see the stock, and sit on the porch and look over the vines. I will send you something in a few minutes. You can see the guide and one of the winery views.

Posted by
17919 posts

My wonders: 1) Where do I fit in my opera house tour and the house of
terror? Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday?

Around the corner from where you are staying. Always easy to visit

2) Which bath for couples and where to put that in? I hate cold
plunges though!

Any of them. Just depends on what works into your schedule for the day. Each is a very different experience so going to two isn’t a bad idea. My two choices would be Gellert and Széchenyi unless you want to hit a bath in the morning on the way to Szentendre, then Lukacs would be the choice and its very, very typical and local but small.

3) We would like one night of fine dining (maybe 2). The rest of the
time we like casual, local fare, and/or bar bites (don't judge me!)
Recommendations for a nice dinner?

You have to define “Fine Dining”. There are quite a few Micheline Star restaurants in town. One with two stars. Dining with an experience might be Rézkakas Bistro. A couple of my favorites right now are N28 and Maces Bistro. But Caviar and Bull is good for high end dining. No need to travel to Buda. In a few minutes I will send you something.

4) Lastly, my young-at-heart 60 year hubs would love to see a rock
band (classic rock style) at a bar/club. Any tips will be greatly
appreciated.

I will look. Jazz is easy, 70's and 80’s rock is a bit harder. But Rod Stewart is coming to town in June. Take a look here to see if anything lights his fire: https://jegymester.hu/category/ZE*/music Best I have found is a German beer bar down the street that sees me coming (sometimes) and changes the music to 80's rock for me. Very briefly, I was a DJ in the '70s and its still my music of choice.

Finally, we would both like to meet the famous Mr. E if you are in
town as well as any other RS Forum members that will be around.

Any time. My pleasure.

Posted by
17919 posts

Just saw you are staying on Jokai ter so I edited everything above. Here is a little local place worth stopping in for local food and a beer. Kiadó Kocsma (literal translation is Pub for Rent). Try the beef cheeks and a beer. Mostly locals, and me once or twice a week, some outside tables. https://maps.app.goo.gl/9mq4AYsxo75uWp5k9 Very "typical" Maybe for your first night. https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0a/a2/4d/3b/kiado-kocsma.jpg https://images.ctfassets.net/314o13npeir2/4uh3f7ZnErt0VXfnCuQe35/c951194806bcbd7ec5f49905d4f77389/kiado-bar-budapest-12.JPG?w=811&h=608&fl=progressive&q=80&fm=jpg

Afterwards maybe a place that promotes good health and relaxiation? There is a nice one about a 5 minute walk from your apartment.

Hey Marci
I am also travelling to Budapest at the same time from India. I am staying at The Hive Hostel. You can check it out on Booking.com.

Posted by
4078 posts

Everyone worries about food - and if you want fine dining, you will need a reservation. But otherwise, there is so much easy good food around that it’s harder to make a bad choice than a good one.

Try Bors Gastro Bar some day for delicious takeout soup or sandwiches. Or the next door Budapest Street Karavan - it has a variety (think food trucks) and tables.

I tried Kiadó Kocsma last night for pumpkin soup and wine @ 7:30pm. It was full of life (and people) and you might think there’s no room if you are shy - but the waitress pointed me to a table (several people there) and they were fine with sharing space (we didn’t have to share conversation). It was a great slice of life. Also not far is Menza for good Hungarian food. https://maps.app.goo.gl/TEVMMPzohgZ16mXLA?g_st=ic.

Castle Hill day: do try Hospital in the Rock for a slightly offbeat, yet interesting and historical place - and maybe Ruszwurm Confectionary while you are there. Coffee and cake!

Margaret Island makes a great half day wander.

I find I love walking the streets looking at all the fantastical architecture. Or riding trams to wherever they go - and then back.

It’s a bit out there, but you could also visit the Salgotarjani street Jewish Cemetery on Tuesday, https://maps.app.goo.gl/q9BSgPCQBeJLEVT99?g_st=ic.

Visit several markets. Lol! Rákóczi Market Hall, Klauzál Market Hall, Central Market Hall. The architecture is fantastic!

I leave Saturday so will just miss you!

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you for the advice! I'm fine-tuning the plan. Course, things never go exactly the way I plan and we're good with that. Life happens between the plans we make anyway.

So, new to us this trip: drop pins onto google maps for different places we want to visit. For those of you that do this, do you have any tips to help make this effective?

Next I will start doing my practice packing runs (yep, I'm weird that way). Of course, we end up putting about half our stuff in each suitcase in case one goes astray. Usually do carry-on only, but will need to check one due to those crazy weight limits (Dave isn't quite down to 8 kg including case, but that's ok)

Seven working days (for me) til we go. I'm as bad as the kids counting down the days to spring break, lol.

~ Marci

Posted by
4078 posts

Mr. É, lol! Next I need to see IKEA. 🤣

Marci, I don’t drop pins because last time I tried, you couldn’t take them off after you were finished. But I do “save” all my locations with the different options (green flags, stars, hearts, etc.). And Google has added a space for “notes” when you save, which I need to start using (I looked at one recently and wondered why on earth I had saved it). Plus if you then download Budapest as an “off-line map”, you have it available even without data. It’s not the same as when you have data, but you can still see where you are, which direction you are headed, and know you are headed - or not - to where you want to go, since it works by satellite.

P.S. Hopefully your apartment has a washer - it helps with avoiding overpacking since you will be in the same place all week!

Posted by
17919 posts
  1. If you need clean clothes there are three options near your apartment. First there is a self service wash on O utca, then there is a full service on Vasvari Pal utca, finally there are lots of stores on Vorosmarty ter (throw the old stuff out and buy new).

2. TTM we can do Ikea today if that is your desire.

3. Marci, I plan and plan and chart and spreadsheet and copy then I get to the destination familar with it to some degree and throw most of the planning asway and just enjoy. If you do run into problems of any type, feel free to call or write.

Posted by
116 posts

Hi,

I'm hoping to do my first visit to Budapest later this calendar year. Waiting for my work schedule to clear up before I book.
So, Scincegrrl I hope you write a travel report upon your return and tell us what things worked and what didn't. The advice here, especially from the Texans, is fantastic, but it's always good to hear from first-timers, too.
Good luck,

Posted by
4078 posts

So true, John! And how long you stay makes a huge difference in your travel plan as well. My first visit was 2 weeks and I approached that totally differently than if I had only had 3 days. Plus we all have different interests, priorities, and perceptions. More reports are better!

Posted by
17919 posts

And too much exposure can deaden your intuition of what a first time visitor may benefit the most from. I am bordering on that and have to take a few steps back from time to time. Sometimes a local is the worst source unless they can remember why they came the first time.

My first stay was 3 nights. That was in 2003. Now look what happened 😬

Posted by
2352 posts

So, new to us this trip: drop pins onto google maps for different places we want to visit. For those of you that do this, do you have any tips to help make this effective?

What I do is group the pins together in different folders "day 1" "day 2" etc. I guess you could even do "day 1 morning" "day 1 afternoon" etc. I also have separate groups for "food" so wherever I am I can pull up that map and see if there's somewhere in particular I wanted to go to nearby that I've pinned.

Posted by
50 posts

I am looking forward to your trip report as we will be in Budapest on May 6th. Good luck and have fun!!