Please sign in to post.
Posted by
17908 posts

Nope, never. But its a lovely square near the river and celebrations are always done very well in Budapest. I'm adding it to my calendar of things to see and do while in Budapest; and we are generally there in between late March and early May most years.....

Posted by
2602 posts

I happened to catch the tail end of it this April and it was quite enjoyable--good variety of quality hand-made items, some quite unique and others more typical of such fairs, also some edibles like jam and chocolates. Wonderful food booths, each more enticing than the last and I circled them all before deciding I needed a grilled chicken pita-esque thing (not langos, though of course they were well-represented) one day and the other I chose my favorite Hungarian dish, toltott kaposzta (stuffed cabbage). Lots of pastries and desserts and several booths with wine and beer. Food prices were extremely cheap, so it was a good stop for dinner a couple of days for me. Plenty of seating at both picnic tables and some smaller tables. Overall atmosphere was lively and fun, plenty of locals there as well as tourists, excellent people-watching. Perhaps give it 1 to 2 hours to walk through if you get a chance, not hard to do since it goes into the evening hours.

Posted by
17908 posts

christa, since you like stuffed cabbage here are a few places scattered around town where I have had good stuffed cabbage (I am fond of it too):

Urban Betyár
Belvárosi Lugas Étterem
Panoráma Terasz
Macesz Bistro (not currently on the menu, but it changes from time to time and one of my favorite places)

I also know a lady in Budapest who can teach you how to make it... :)

Posted by
2602 posts

James--I happened on Urban Betyar this past trip after stopping at Bestsellers bookshop on Oktober 6 utca and really loved their stuffed cabbage, nice dining experience, and will add the others to my list. My trouble is I go a-wandering and while I may intend to find a recommended restaurant I end up starving and eat in that neighborhood. Must plan better!

Posted by
17908 posts

Christa, no, you are doing it the right way. Wander and walk in. The town is full of good food in the most unexpected places..... But if you put those and their address in your pocket you can get hungry and look at the list and see what you are near. You have my bigger list and map as well; print it and wad it up in your pocket.

Posted by
2602 posts

Your list always goes with me! I may ask about the lady who teaches how to make it at some point, too.