I have been trying to determine where and when to go on our Greek Holiday. We have been trying to decide between Paros and Naxos. Some background on us: It will be my wife and myself and we are in the 35-40 age bracket, are not blitz tourists (1-2 sights a day but if we spend the majority of it sitting in a cafe on a square that's fine as well). I am a history nut and she loves the beach (we both love the ocean - Marine Biologists).
So for us the major considerations are:
1) Aside from beaches will there be enough to occupy us for 4 days/5 nights we have allocated for one of these islands? Specifically aside from hiking, swimming, shopping and eating what else is there to do?
2) Travel to other parts of the island. Each of the islands has other locations/towns to visit. Is public transportation enough to allow a evening meal in a town away from the town in which your accommodation is located; does it run late? I don't really want to rent a car but would be willing to rent an ATV if I had to (I grew up on a tiny island on the east coast of Canada and am well versed in driving ATV's).
3) Will the water be warm enough to swim in? We are considering late May or early to mid Sept for our visit. Again we grew up with North Atlantic ocean temperatures so please consider that.
4) We are going to Santorini (my wife insists, I could care less) and so would like a place that's less touristy but not too out of the way.
5) We have traveled quite a bit and are firm believers in the DIY vacations so we don't require much hand holding on our trips.
Thanks everyone and if you have recommendations please feel free to comment.