Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Santorini?

I am confused by Santorini. I understand the caldera views are desired, but where is the best place to see them? Won't the whole western side of the island have beautiful views?

If you have specific accommodation recommendations, great, but what I really want to know is what city should I be looking at? Oia? Fira? Imerovigli? Someplace else? Ideally, I want to stay somewhere that is within walking distance of restaurants, and with easy access to the ferry. I'd like to avoid renting a car, if possible.

Posted by
230 posts

Your right, any place on the west side of the island has caldera views. Imerovigli is somewhat isolated. There is no easy access to the ferry port. You need to take a taxi, public bus, or hotel provided service.

Posted by
3961 posts

We stayed in Firostefani and of course had the gorgeous Caldera view. We appreciated the close proximity to restaurants, shops, & public transportation. Firostefani is less touristy. We loved that. We walked to Fira a couple times for lunch and dinner. We did a guided day tour of the island that was wonderful. On our last night we walked back from Taverna Stani our favorite restaurant. The views are magical at night. We didn’t feel a car was necessary. We had a driver pick us up from the ferry. Another driver took us to the airport.

Posted by
808 posts

We stayed in Firostefani at Lithies Traditional Homes. Sunsets from our private patio were amazing. Easy walking distance to restaurants. (Aktaion was terrific; make reservations well in advance) No need for a car; Lithies provides complimentary transportation upon arrival on Santorini as well as departure. We went to Oia late one afternoon to browse and to have dinner on the caldera. Maria, who is your host at Lithies can make recommendations and reservations for this. Oia was a madhouse; so glad we were not staying there.