Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Athens?

Hello!

We are in our late 30's, no kids yet, looking to stay a night or two in Athens before we head out for Santorini.

Looking for ideas of a great hotel to stay in Athens maybe near the Acropolis? Is this a good area? I found the Hera Hotel online with great reviews but someone mentioned it can be loud. Has anyone stayed here? Any good reco's for a hotel that is in a safe/nice/great location?

What should we see if we only have 1 day to sight-see? The Acropolis? Parthenon?

Thanks!
Jamie

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes stay near the Acropolis. For such a short visit convenience is essential. The Plaka neighborhood is pretty touristy, but also nice and convenient. I can’t rec a specific hotel since I stay in apartments. In Athens last summer I was near the Acropolis museum, east of the Acropolis itself. Good area.

Yes, the Acropolis would be the #1 thing to see. The Parthenon is on the Acropolis so you see them together. You can see it from below (there’s a pedestrian boulevard all around the base) but you want to go up on it to the actual site. The nearby Acropolis museum is also essential. It’s right at the base of the Acropolis, walking distance from the hotel area mentioned above. The Archaeological museum is great but farther away (easy cab ride). So with one day I’d stick with the Acropolis and Acropolis museum.

Posted by
3961 posts

We stayed at Hotel Hera twice. We did not encounter any noise. It is a convenient location just a few minutes south of the Acropolis and other main sights. We walked everywhere. We found Athen's to be perfectly safe wherever we visited. Our favorite restaurant was a couple minutes from the hotel (Manh Manh). We ate there 3 times. Highly recommend at least two nights to experience the Greek experience. The RS Greece Guidebook and the Rough Guide to Greece were the best for planning.