Please sign in to post.

Visit Athens (1 day) Acropolis from Piraeus Cruise Port 2024

Will be visiting Athens for 1 day in late spring 2024, for one day via cruise ship from the port of Piraeus. We will arrive in port at 8am, so i suspect the earliest we could get to Acropolis, would be 10am (between cruise departure, walk to port exit, transport to Acropolis via taxi, city bus, hoho bus or city Metro) when all the other crowds do too. We want to walk Plaka after Acropolis and see the Acropolis museum maybe even go up to Mt Lycabettus for the view. What is the most expedient way to get to Acropolis from Piraeus and what is REASONABLE to attempt to do (thinking we would have to leave Athens around 3pm to be back to port by 4pm for a 5 pm departure). TYIA :)

Posted by
1818 posts

The video mentioned by Carol now is interesting but it does not concern passengers arriving on a cruise ship (as explained at 3:55 of the video)

Cruise ship terminals are different from ferry terminals.
The only way to get to the city center from the cruise terminals by public transport is to take the X80 bus which operates from May to October

https://www.oasa.gr/en/visit-athens/x80-piraeus-acropolis-syntagma-express-bus-line/

Given the limited time you have (9am to 4pm), I think the best option would be to take a taxi.

The maximum daily number of visitors to the Acropolis is now limited. You must book in advance here and choose a date and time.
(make sure to be at the entrance 30 minutes before your chosen time slot, entrance is available 15' before to 15' after the time of your choice).

https://hhticket.gr/tap_b2c_new/english/tap.exe?PM=P1P&place=000000002

You can get an idea of ​​how many cruise ships (and passengers) will arrive in Athens the same day as you by consulting this website:

https://cruisedig.com/ports/piraeus-athens-greece

What you can see/visit once you get there will depend on traffic, queues, general crowds and your efficiency in getting from one place to another.

5 to 6 hours to see The Acropolis + Plaka + The Acropolis Museum + Lycabettus Hill seems too ambitious, not to say unrealistic.
Going to Mount Lycabettus from the city center takes at least 2 hours, including the round trip by taxi, cable car, and 30 minutes to the summit.

I think you will have to choose between the Acropolis Museum and Mount Lycabettus.

If you have enough time, in my opinion, after the Acropolis, going to Mount Lycabettus would be a more original and interesting experience than the Acropolis Museum.

https://www.lycabettushill.com/

You can return by taxi to the cruise port from the bottom of Lycabettus Hill.

Up to you.

Posted by
1375 posts

We did a cruise stop in Athens. It is a fairly long walk from where we were docked to the Metro subway line so we decided a taxi ride would be best way to get to the Acropolis.
There were several taxis at the gate at the port but none of them were willing to take us to the Acropolis because they wanted to make all day tour bookings.

I think that the best way for you to consider is booking a private transfer service. They will be waiting for you at the cruise dock exit.
The price was the same as the taxi fare. We have used City Cab several times but there are several other private transfer services you can choose from.
You should not have a problem getting a taxi from the Acropolis back to the cruise ship terminal as these drivers are not looking for all day bookings.

Posted by
4842 posts

Have you considered a tour through the cruise line? Yes, they do cost a bit more than doing it on your own, but not nearly as much as having to get yourself to the next port if you miss the ship. But if you're on a tour booked through the cruise line, and there is a delay getting back to the ship, the ship will wait for you. Not so if you are touring own your own. We've been an many cruises and have experienced some to the traffic jams and delays that happen in all big cities. But the ship always waited for us. We've even seen (several times) people running along the pier trying to get to the ship as it was departing. Just offering food for thought.

Posted by
28 posts

@stanbr good idea for private transfer. What time did your cruise ship arrive and what time did it depart from Athens?

Posted by
1375 posts

As I recall we were docked at 6am but we did not get off the ship until 8AM

Posted by
11159 posts

I hope you have enough time to go to the top of Lycabettus Hill. Amazing views. We were lucky that our hotel was next to Lycabettus.

Posted by
77 posts

Your cruise line is very likely to offer an "On Your Own" type of shore excursion that provides bus transport back and forth and leaves you at the foot of the Acropolis. We had plenty of time to see the Parthenon/Acropolis and the Acropolis museum plus a bit of a walk around the Plaka. If your ship leaves at 5, all aboard will be at 4:30. You must buy tickets for the Acropolis in advance now as they are limiting the number of visitors per day.