Please sign in to post.

Turkish Airlines

Traveling to Athens in September. Cheapest flights we can find at this time are on Turkish Airlines. Does anyone have any experience with this airline?

Posted by
27138 posts

I flew Turkish Airlines from Istanbul to Washington-Dulles a few months ago. No issues. For Athens I think you'll need to go first to Istanbul, then double back. Some of the connections in Istanbul are very long, so do take a careful look at the flight schedule. If you don't mind a long connection, check into the airline's offer of (I think) a free hotel room or a free tour.

Posted by
1483 posts

I have flown TA on one trip only. Round trip from ORD to IST. I had a bit of trouble prior to the trip. I can't remember the exact details...but it was something like one of the flights was changed and I received an email that I had to go to a TA desk in person to resolve the problem. Well, that would have been a 5 hour drive for me. After a lot of time on the phone, I finally reached a person in Chicago that helped me resolve the issue.

The flight to Istanbul was fine and uneventful. The service is very good. If you generally travel in economy, I would recommend the airline. I chose seats toward the back of the plane so that my travel companion and I could be in a row of 2 instead of 3.

The flight home was the longest flight I have been on at 12 hours. Again, the service is good. However, I was completely miserable in the seats and won't likely fly TA again. At least on the plane that I was on, when you recline the seat, the bottom of the seat slides forward. The seat in front of me was not reclined the entire flight, so my knees became jammed up against that seat in front of me. There was also minimal padding in the seat and I could feel metal bars. It was a rough 12 hours.

Also at the time, TA had only economy and first class, no intermediate type of seating. I only choose Comfort plus , Premium Select or Delta One now when flying Delta. If I was willing to fly in economy again, I would likely choose TA again because of their good pricing and then cross my fingers that my previous experience wasn't repeated.

Posted by
3122 posts

I flew TA from Athens to Los Angeles 4 months ago. The economy seats were so close together that my knees were touching the seat in front of me, and I'm not a tall man. If I hadn't been sitting on the aisle I would have gone crazy with how cramped I felt. I don't know where you will be flying to/from, but all international TA flights transit through Istanbul, meaning my flight from IST to LAX was 13.5 hours non-stop, and in that cramped seat. I was a physical wreck by the time I reached L.A. I ordered a vegetarian meal and they did not have it when it came to meal time. TA fares are low, yes, but is the discomfort worth it? I'm looking for a ticket for next May and I definitely will NOT be flying TA again.