Please sign in to post.

Travel Planning for April 2023

We will be in Greece during the month of April. I'm trying to be aware of the fact that Orthodox Easter in April 16. So far in our itinerary planning our travel date to take the overnight ferry to Crete is landing on April 15th. If I try and look at bookings that far ahead it shows that there are no dates available. Is it just because it's too far in advance for booking? Will Easter weekend disrupt the ferry schedules?

On the subject of Easter, where is your favorite city/island to be to enjoy watching the celebrations?

Thank you

Posted by
1811 posts

Ferry timetables for April are not yet published, they should be published in the coming weeks.
Those for the Easter period will be specific given the number of passengers expected during this week which is one of those where the ferries are the busiest. Many Greeks from the mainland go to the islands to celebrate Easter.

So, as soon as you see the schedules, don't hesitate to book (don't go through an intermediary, book directly on the ferry company's website)

Another possibility would be to fly to Crete with Aegean/Olympic or Sky Express.
Aegean extends until tonight midnight (Greek time) a Black Friday discount of around 40% on all its flights.

If you are still in Greece on Monday May 1, note that this is traditionally a day when all ferries are on strike.

Posted by
3250 posts

We were in Chania for Orthodox Easter a few years ago. It was fantastic - especially the midnight church service (we watched from outside) and later joined the candlelight procession after the service. Our hotel arranged for us to go to Easter lunch at a restaurant in a small village nearby. Lots of spit-roasted lamb, sweet breads, and red dyed Easter eggs…happy memories!

Posted by
8141 posts

It's a long haul from the Athens Airport out to the port, and also an expensive taxi ride. By the time we got to the port, we had to spend the night.

Have you priced the difference in just booking a flight to Crete? Or catching a commuter airline out to the island?

We were in Crete in June, 2022--on our second visit. We love it.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks everyone for the info ! Even when you research online about a travel destination, I always learn new tidbits from the Rick Steves Forum !

We will arrive in Athens and then do a mainland roadtrip. I'm actually looking forward to the Ferry ride to Crete. We have a month in Greece so we can slow down a little. Below is my preliminary route. ( thinking of doing Athens at the end of the trip though ) Please feel free to comment. :)

4/3-4/7: Athens
4/7-4/9: Kalambaka
4/9-4/11: Delphi/Nafpaktos
4/11-4/13: Olympia
4/13-4/15: Nafplio
4/15 Crete via Athens

Posted by
1603 posts

Because you have a month, I would spend more time in Nafplio, such as 5 nights. Our highlight on the Peloponnese is Mystras, the Byzantine ruins. It was almost a 2-hour drive one way from Nafplio but absolutely well worth it. There are so many ruins near Nafplio. We also visited Mycenae and Epidauros. And drove down the Argolid Peninsula. Spent a day sightseeing in Nafplio, a beautiful small city on the water. I can recommend Omorfi Poli for accommodations.

Spend at least 4 nights in Athens.

Posted by
1811 posts

It is not essential, upon arrival, to stay 4 nights in Athens since you will return there at the end of your trip in the mainland before leaving for Crete.
1 or 2 nights maximum are enough, the time to get rid of the jetlag and to acclimatize. (and to be in good shape to drive).

And as kmkwoo mentions, you could stay longer in the Nafplio area.

If you return (again) to Athens by ferry at the end of your stay in Crete, plan at least one night in Athens before taking your flight home.
As you say it's a one month trip (which is going to include May 1st), remember not to plan a ferry trip on May 1st.