Please sign in to post.

travel from Turkey to Greece

We are taking the tour of Turkey at the end of March; and then considering to go to Greece for 5-6 days. This is our first time traveling to Greece. We would like to know, what is the best way to get to Athens from Kusadasi, where our tour ends in
Turkey. We will stay one night in Athens and then would like to go see Nafplio for a few days. Again What is the best way to get there and get around to see the sites. We will then go back to Athens and stay there a few days and fly to US. from there. Any tips on transport and must-see sites, number of days we should plan would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
27122 posts

You can't trust the details (fares, travel times, frequencies) it displays, but this is a situation in which Rome2Rio might be a useful first step. There appear to be a lot of options, but when you dig into the details, you may find many are not really practical or are wildly costly.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Ku%C5%9Fadas%C4%B1-Ayd%C4%B1n-T%C3%BCrkiye/Athens

I'm seeing fare estimates (which are often laughably off-base anyway) in Turkish lira. The lira is about 27 to the US dollar, so the fares are not as high as they may appear.

But this isn't a pretty situation. You're starting in a small city and trying to connect two countries that aren't exactly friendly. Much of the transportation is infrequent. Ferries can be cancelled due to bad weather. Perhaps someone has made this trip recently and has a good idea for you.

My gut reaction is that this may not be the best time to visit Greece. You don't have a lot of days to spend. Would this be your first trip to Greece?

Confession: I'm in Istanbul right now and am being influenced by having a non-stop flight home next week, which seems so much easier than linking Kusadasi to Greece. I realize it will be a slog even if you head straight home from Kusadasi.

Posted by
261 posts

Here are 2 options to go from Kusadasi to Athens:

1. Take a Meander Travel early ferry from Kusadasi to Samos Island. Then next day an early flight on Aegean/Olympia to Athens. Meander goes to Vathi (taxi to Pythagorio) or Pythagorio direct. Customs on Samos is easier & quicker than Athens. An overnight in delightful Pythagorio would provide a good rest from the tour pace. Samos airport is a short taxi ride from town. The flight arrives in time to pick up a car at the airport (ATH) and drive to Nafplio.
2. Join the RS tour bus going to Izmir and fly to Athens from there. There would not be enough time to go to Nafplio so an overnight in Athens is called for. (You need to check with RS to see if they plan to have that bus after your tour. It usually goes "home" to Izmir before going to Istanbul for the next tour.)

Posted by
261 posts

Aegean/Olympia Air, SkyExpress and Turkish Air do not show flights to/from Kusadasi. All listed flights use nearby airports such as Izmir or Samos. Am I missing something new?