Please sign in to post.

Travel from Turkey to Greece

I am touring Turkey for 3 weeks and want to spend 7-9 days in Greece. My turkey tour ends in Kasudasi. I was wondering if going to Samos - Kos- Rhodes would be a good itinerary or if we should go only to Crete. I want to limit the amount of packing/unpacking. Once in Crete, is it reasonable to have one home base? Thank you.

Posted by
11132 posts

Crete is a large island so pick one area and one or two bases. Western Crete is beautiful. Stay in Chania. Then go to south shore and stay in Sougia or Loutro.

Posted by
2943 posts

Go to Rhodes, it will be easier to reach than Crete. People love Rhodes!

Posted by
2943 posts

The closest airport is in Samos which means you can fly nonstop to Rhodes for less than $100.

Posted by
2123 posts

Another option: you could take this opportunity to see some of the smaller, less-visited islands.

Start with a ferry from Kusadasi to Samos, spend a couple of days, and end at an island with an airport (Kos? Leros?). Maybe add an island in between, depending on whether you have 7 or 9 days.

Leros has one of the most beautiful (almost deserted) beaches in Greece. Kos offers day trips to Nisyros, a tiny island with an active (but not erupting) volcano. You can hike into the caldera … one of our most memorable experiences.

On your way to either of these islands you could stop at Patmos (famous for the monastery of St. John) or tiny Lipsi.

Or you could go west from Samos to beautiful Ikaria (one of the famous Blue Zones) and fly back to Athens from there.

Look at descriptions of these and other islands on the ferry routes out of Samos and see what appeals to you. We found Rhodes to be crowded and busy, and Crete (which we love) deserves more time.