Please sign in to post.

travel agency

My husband and I are active seniors and planning a two week trip from NYC to Greece in September. We need some guidance regarding whether what we're planning is workable for us and to engage a travel agent to help with implementing all logistics. Our thinking is fly into Athens and spend 3-4 days in Athens, then ferry to Mykonos for 2-3 days, ferry from Mykonos to Santorini for 2-3 days, high speed ferry from Santorini to Crete for 2-3 days and then flight from Crete to Athens and flight back to NYC. Any recommendations?

Posted by
3122 posts

Savvy travellers recommend that you leave all your time on the mainland for the last leg of your journey so you have those days to return to Athens in case something unforeseen causes a delay and makes you miss your flight home. So book a flight to your first island for around 2 hours after your first arrival in Athens. It's so much nicer to get over your jet lag on a beautiful island than it will be if you are in the busy city.

Other than that recommendation your itinerary is very workable, although I will say that Crete is huge, and it takes a minimum of a week with a rental car just to barely scratch the surface of that island, so maybe re-think that part of your trip?

If you want the assistance of a trave agency to put it all together for you I recommend Fantasy Travel and Dolphin-Hellas Travel, both in Athens and both with excellent reputations for reliability. It's best to use a Greek agency. If something goes wrong they'll just be a phone call away, Both have websites.

Posted by
1157 posts

Travel agents make it easy and less stressful in planning a trip but tend to end up being more expensive and possibly influence you where to go rather than where you want to go.

You picked two of the most popular and hyped Greek Islands, Santorini/Mykonos.

Is that by choice or influenced by something else?

Crete is a great island but spending just 2-3 days there isn't worth the effort. It deserves weeks if no more to fully explore and experience.

I would drop Myknonos and spend the remaining and most time on Crete.

As mentioned above if at all possible save Athens for the end of your trip.

I would also do more research and see if you can pull this off without a travel agent.

Part of the fun of travel is doing your own research. Not only is it enjoyable it's educational.

Posted by
3320 posts

Agree with dropping Mykonos. once upon a time it was a lively venue for artists/free spirits -- now its a clogged cruise stop with HUndreds of high-end $$$ luxury brand shops (think Rodeo Drive).. crammed w cruise crowds 5 days a week, eye-watering prices. Only reason still drawing newcomers = endless promotion.

Sounds as if you have about 12 1/2 days Can only count arrival day if land in morning, cant count departure day. You have 2 transit-efficient routes - starting with a flight to an island (allow 2-hr "layover" between arrival in ATH and departure to Island) and ending with Athens 3-4 days at End. as follows.

• Fly CHANIA CRETE arrive late day -- This is THE most Gorgeous Old Town on Crete... perfect for atmospheric start to your trip... spend 2 days CHANIA, get car rental for easy drive South... to ?Matala? 1 night, then NE to HERAKLION -- 2 night? see Museum /do tour to Knossos?
• Morning ferry to SANTORINI - 8 or 9 AM, 2hr on large catamaran ferry (800-100 passengers +150 vehicles) -- arrive noon? 3 days
• Fly to ATH for final 3 full days.

• Fly SANTORINI - spend 3 nights (2 full days) ;

• Ferry to HERAKLION CRETE Arr 7:30 pm. -2 nights/ 1 full day? Knossos & Museum -- rent car?? drive South for 1 ?nights stay -- Drive NW to CHANIA - final 3 nights (2 full days)
• Fly to ATH - final 2-3 full days

In Crete instead of renting car, you could book day-excursions and/or take local busses, though that would limit destinations; much will depend on your interests. I agree that either suggested agency could take a suggested itinierary something like ths and do all arrrangement for you. It will cost more than D-I-Y of course, but will be easier and more relaxing to have logistics done. Do remember though, the quality of such trips depends on you doing some homework and specifying your priorites, if you want to see what interests YOU, rather than a "cookie-cutter" trip plan.

Posted by
11156 posts

The only place I ever have used a travel agent is in Greece. It was very helpful and each time we checked into a hotel our Athens’ agent name was mentioned. I felt it made a difference!