Please sign in to post.

to Cruise or not to Cruise?

This June will be our first time to Greece (2 adults & 2 teens). Any recommendations on visiting by cruise ship, if so which company do you recommend? We have never been on a cruise so we do not know what to expect but thought it may be a great way to see multiple islands. Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted by
8381 posts

Well, there are a lot of different cruise lines and different ways to cruise. Then you need to look at itineraries and time in port.

How much time do you like to put into the logistics of travel? Would you rather have a set itinerary done by another person dealing with all the aspects of travel? Would you rather be a DYI with your hand on every decision made? Are you somewhere in the middle?

There are tons of videos on You Tube about cruises, different ships, and ports visited by cruises. You could spend a little time there looking a what people are doing and what sort of experiences they are having on their cruises. Do those experiences resonate with you?

Finally, a couple of places to look for bargains. Cruise Plum.com and Vacations to Go. I like Cruise Plum because it gives the price with gratuities and port fees included. Your costs will always be the basic cruise fare, any adds on such as excursions or special food/drink packages, wifi, gratuities, and port fees/taxes.

There will be many opinions out there in response to your question. I think that the more you do the research about what the cruises are like and think about what you are really hoping for in a vacation, the more you will come to a conclusion that is right for your family.

Posted by
2076 posts

I would start by comparing cruise lines that are going to the islands that you want to see. We used Celebrity many years ago and liked it so much that we used Celebrity for other destinations as well. We are no longer cruising because we want more time at our chosen destinations.

Posted by
2427 posts

I would suggest reading reviews for the specific cruise you might be interested in on the website Cruise Critic.

Posted by
891 posts

Celestyal Cruises operate cruises for as little as three or four nights and up to 10 nights from Athens. With the shorter cruises you would only spend a half day at each port - a bit of a teaser really, but possibly a good way to see of cruising is for you. I have not used them.

Check out Cruise Critic for reviews and other cruise lines.

Posted by
426 posts

Vacations to go is a good website that I use to find cruises. You can do a custom search with the dates that you would like to go, as well as the region and see what pops up. You can then see a lot of useful info for each cruise, including photos of the cabin, restaurants that are included in the cruise fare, info about the different ports, etc.

Another suggestion is that you should plan to arrive in the city where the cruise starts at least one day prior to the start of the cruise, and preferably a couple of days or longer prior to the cruise.

Posted by
4322 posts

How much time do you want to spend in each place? We don't cruise because we want to have enough time to see a place. Plus the only time we want to be in that small of a space with that many people is a few hours at a football game.

Posted by
1924 posts

I have taken eight cruises with Norwegian. I choose them because I travel alone and they have studio cabins for one person.

They do offer Mediterranean - Greek Islands cruises. Their website is NCL.com

But another poster mentioned Celebrity which I think may be a step higher than Norwegian. Same with Princess.

As someone else said, Cruise Critic is a good source of information.

Perhaps a friend or relative can recommend a travel agent. A good travel agent is a big plus but not all of them are good. As with anything else, you need to be careful.

You can call any cruise line and speak to a cruise consultant. They will be very glad to talk with you and send you a glossy catalogue.

Here is a tip. A cruise consultant will tell you all that comes with the cost of a cruise but be certain to ask what does not come with the cost of the cruise.

Posted by
7556 posts

You have gotten plenty of advice about cruises, and if after research, that appeals to you, great.

Personally, I like doing it on my own. With a cruise, one advantage is that you may be able to take in a number of islands. Doing it on your own, you will go at a slower pace, and in two weeks, with Athens, you really would need to whittle your choices down to 3 islands, and those need to be within a group with ferry connections.

However, with a cruise, figure when you get to an island, you and every one else on the ship, will be crowding to the same few spots. On your own, you can enjoy the local cuisine, in the evening, when the cruise ships have left and things are quiet...or go to an island the cruises skip. On your own would be a slower pace, see more of the local life, more beach.

Posted by
115 posts

We enjoy cruising on Celebrity. We just took a 9 day cruise from Athens, only 2 days at sea all the rest were touring the islands. It was great, the cruise ended in Barcelona so we stayed a few days in Spain. The itinerary was Athens, Santorini, Mikonos, Rhodes, Ephesus, Malta, Playa de Mallorca and Barcelona. It was great! Wonderful way to see the islands. Also, if you do take a cruise ask about the air fares. We got an excellent air fare through the cruise line. Good look!

Posted by
2126 posts

Some people love cruises, having everything planned and provided for you, and don’t mind always being surrounded by people. Others get frustrated with the constant standing in line, waiting to get off the ship or on the ship or into a dining room.

You won’t know which category you fall into until you take one.

But if you’re at all adventuresome, and have the time/inclination to do some research and planning, think about trying Greece on your own. It’s not as complicated as you might expect, and there are lots of experienced Greek travelers on this forum willing to guide you. You won’t see as many islands but you will experience them more fully.

Posted by
1818 posts

Take into account that cruises are a way to see three or four of the most touristy islands and return to your cabin every evening, but certainly not to "visit" any islands.

Posted by
6509 posts

You might want to look at Greece travel expert Matt Barrett's take on island cruises. His overall website is a great source for travel in Greece generally. His basic recommendation, if you're going to cruise to different islands, is to use a smaller Greek-based ship that can spend more time in port but may not be as luxurious as the bigger international ones.

We like cruises, have taken more than a dozen with Norwegian Cruise Lines, but not as a way to really experience great destination cities (or in this case islands). Time on shore is limited, ports are shared with lots of other people. The appeal of cruising, for us, is being at sea and having everything taken care of on the ship. To really explore a city or country, we prefer to travel independently, or take a well-organized tour like those Rick Steves offers. (He has one for mainland Greece but not the islands.)

Posted by
11159 posts

If you want to visit Greece, don’t go on a cruise ship. Take Greek ferries to various islands and stay on each island to fully experience it.

Posted by
527 posts

Have to agree. When I see large groups being lead around and then returned to the ship just as the islands become more stunning it seems you miss alot of the ambiance and food of a wonderful country. Plus you will miss interactions with the kind Greeks. Yes I have been on cruises. I think that they are great for some destinations or guests but 2 adults and 2 teens can easily handle the Greek islands and see what they want at their own pace and interests. I had always thought that the ferries between the islands would be difficult but they are actually very easy. Its much more of an adventure and having traveled with my own teens most likely alot more fun including swimming in the very clear seas. The forum can help you alot if you provide how many days that you have and any specific interests etc. You will want to finish in Athens at the end of your great trip.

Posted by
5752 posts

There is a lot of snootiness on this forum about cruises. Not everyone crowds to the same places as stated above and in other such threads. There are plenty of people like me who very rarely take shore excursions- either ship organised or by independent companies. Not cowed by the threats of "the ship might leave without you". I and others are entirely capable in most cases of organising my own day out, using local transport, at my pace and visiting where I want to go.
Interacting with local people.
But what is often forgotten in such discussions is that ship excursions do employ local transport providers, guides and such like.
I am also more than capable of telling the time, and knowing when to cut things short if something goes wrong. I also have a plan at any port as to how to get to the next port if something utterly drastic did happen.

There is no reason why you can not do the same.

There are people for whom cruising does work.

Posted by
8381 posts

@isn31c

"There is a lot of snootiness on this forum about cruises" So, so true! But it doesn't stop there. Pick just about any "issue", such as carry on vs. checking, independent travel vs. tours, even down to getting money prior to a trip or getting it from the ATM and you will be told that there is one "right" way to do it.

The ones that get me are the ones that never ever have tried a RS tour or taken a cruise, but are strongly against such experiences. Not every travel method is for everyone. I get that. What I don't get is the judgement and "warnings" about something they have never tried.

A cruise may or may not be the right option for the OP, but at least they were open minded and willing to consider options. Bravo for those willing to consider new ways to travel!

Posted by
35 posts

Cruise or no cruise is a personal preference. Kind of like tour or no organized tour. We are 100% a no tour and no cruise family in Europe. I love cruising if all I want to do is go to beaches, but I prefer staying places longer when I'm looking to tour/see other things. We enjoy cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean but that's about all we do. I love planning, and hate large groups, so we do better by ourselves in Europe, I also really love eating as much local foods as I can and with a cruise you're frequently limited to only lunch off the boat.

Posted by
7667 posts

We have done 21 ocean cruises since 2010 and our favorite cruise lines are Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and NCL in that order.

Compare prices and itineraries.

Cruises are a great way to see several islands. You will only spend a day at each, but you can take in a lot. Love Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and more.

Also, you will likely go to Athens, which is fabulous visiting the Acropolis (Parthenon) and New Acropolis Museum.

Posted by
207 posts

Not.

Respectfully, Greece seems like the absolute worst place to cruise, in my opinion.

One of the best parts of your Greek experience are the long-into-the-evening meals in ridiculously beautiful locations with local food. I feel you'd lose far more from a cruise than you would gain. In Greece.

Posted by
11159 posts

I would feel cheated if I visited Greece by cruise ship. Use the ferries, stay on the islands and you will have a much better and real Greek experience.

Posted by
40 posts

Since you'll have teens with you I would not go on a cruise. They'll get a lot more out of seeing Greece if you go on your own. If you do go on a cruise I would recommend Royal Caribbean with teenagers.